Front Wheel Drive Discussion

@revel_flo any way to permanent engage reverse direction when switching on in 2WD mode so we could ride in FWD for the revel kit? Really interested to test this ride feel out!

I have drag breaking in my race board as well. Cant remember how much maybe 15-20 procent. Its not much but it breaks when I release the throttle. I haven’t played much with different settings and it could be that I remove it again. But it seems that it gives me a smother braking experience. It is often when going from throttle to brake and back again that the riding becomes jittery. This seems to help that. I release the brake and it starts braking the same amount each time. I then engage the brakes more. When I go from throttle to engaging the brakes by my self its more difficult to control. I can still coast. I just dont release the brakes fully.

2 Likes

Stooge Raceboards use brakes. @JaysTCB is describing his personal boards

3 Likes

I personally also ride my mountainboard in FWD in the city, due to the fact there are many curbs I need to jump onto.

And it is just easier to lift the heavy nose at the right time, than time the jump right - so that the back end of board doesnt hit the curb.

So yeh, in my case it is about weight distribution and making it easier to get up on curbs - edges while riding.

I wouldnt recommend FWD if someone’s board is mono drive, as that would give some scary situations with board pulling to one side when braking or pushing you over your board, if brakes are too tough

Can also agree about the benefit of Pulling feel versus pushing, it does give some more handling/stability options.

On a side note, @rich interesting thing about rocks flying to your face…

Wouldnt have thought there might be dangers for running FWD in off road / loose rock conditions

3 Likes

Defenately going to try this when it gets dry here, or if i manage to find some mudguards for the 9” with the spur gear drive

do you have the kid 4WD or do you own just a 2WD kid?

I have the 2WD… i dont think i will ever need a 4WD in my lifetime.

1 Like

can you ride it reverse? Is there a reverse mode?

Yes there is, but i’d rather set it as a default if there was ever an option, otherwise if i ever forgot - there’d be a faceplant waiting to happen… i have 3 e-boards you see…

yeah thats true, you have to check before you ride, but the benefit of FWD is worth it to apply reverse every time you ride.
god bless i dont need to do so, i have 2 4wd of another brand and i just splitted one of them into a RWD and a FWD. That makes it just easy. I added the RWD on a symmetrical deck, so im able to skate this one fwd, too, if i want to, just by applying reverse mode.

1 Like

I don’t like the feeling of FWD…

Hmm, interesting! There’s nothing there currently but things might change once we have the mobile app ready! :wink:

6 Likes

Yeah it’s called fuck ther sheeit n throw a Unity in it of you have an Android phone

2 Likes

So I loaded (sic) up the Revel Kit onto my Alva deck in reverse, with a 16" wheelbase. Now 16" isn’t exactly long enough to be considered stable for higher speeds. But with the weight of the kit in front and the remote engaged in full reverse mode (keeps me on my toes to double check every time)…

Let me just say that I am IN LOVE :purple_heart: :purple_heart: :purple_heart: with FWD

The feeling is so good, every time you accelerate, it doesn’t feel as if the board is out to slide out from under you especially when you have a kick-tail, resulting in an unwanted wheelie / manual. It just pulls you along.

Because I don’t have a lower angled truck on me at the moment, I flipped the existing (now rear) hangar to lower the angle from 50deg to 45deg to provide more stability in the rear.

The setup rides like a total dream. This will be my new plaything for the season. Now I am a firm advocate for FWD.

@revel_flo

10 Likes

I can easily switch between AWD, RWD and FWD by just pushing two remote buttons on my Interceptor. So if you guys need me to test something on a perfect symmetrical board, just tell me what you want to know. I think this could be interesting, since I’m able to test it without changing the weight distribution from back to front.

1 Like

I tried a friends linky board once, that was front wheel drive,… never again :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

What’s a Linky board?? sounds dinky. :laughing: oh… you mean the foldable nonsense. Please don’t draw blanket conclusions on this subject based off a “whackjob” of a board. I’ve let another fellow group member try it out my FWD, he flew around the track at full pelt and was hooked.

3 Likes

Hahahahhaa, i told you, dude :grinning:
Same to me, Fwd is so nice and the motors are much more safe now from hitting and getting wasted by curbs.
Just check the direction of the board every time before you step on it, to prevent faceplant.
Edit: As for the perfect wheelbase for boards with kicktails i suggest the rally cat. This deck is more than perfect for fwd and the wb is about 20"ish, but just on the first model. The newer once have a smaller wb and im not ridden them yet, so cant tell about them. Try her once and you will be hooked from the first step on her.

1 Like

Just went for another spin - let me just say that I still can’t get over the feeling… it feels so nice - just the right balance of weight, and so so stable, I was launching off mini-humps, jumping a little with absolutely no issues whatsoever.

Yes the Rallycat would be great as @rafaelinmissouri would attest to - however I’m using a Revel kit and the rocker concave won’t work with the kit. And you are right - I’m applying this kit to a 19" deck pretty soon when it arrives.

McLovinIt

3 Likes