Front Wheel Drive Discussion

You should go out and try it.
The only issue I really saw with front-wheel drive was getting it set up just right.
People typically want the rear truck pretty tight and the front truck nice and divey.
but with front-wheel drive that can cause issues on certain setups with motors hitting the deck.

I wouldn’t take anyone’s advice on how it feels though, I would go out and try and ride it yourself to see if it suits you.

5 Likes

I will definitely do this.
@DEEIF and I probably have the biggest problem with clearance, so it’ll be a good test.
My setup is inward and the mounts I use don’t allow me to swap that so they’ll be inward on the front of an Evo 36 on Berg’s Very interesting indeed

4 Likes

Yeah the Evo type decks are going to be one of the more difficult setups to get working right.
Especially if your mounts won’t allow you to do forward mounting.

2 Likes

Battery cells have higher discharge current than charge current.
So on most setups, your regen current is set to less than your acceleration current.
So when riding and pushing your board to the max, you will need more traction for the acceleration than the braking.
Therefore RWD is the better option in most cases.

1 Like

That’s one argument yes though j can’t help but feel it’s toosimplistic. I find myself doing lots of short bursts. And braking often and hard.
Currently when accelerating hard, the board wants to push out from under me. I can help but imagine FWD will be more of a pull and be more stable under hard acc with a hard forward lean.

That said I’ve never broken traction on my setup as of now so I’m unsure if im close enough to the edge for traction to really matter all that much

Is the traction actually better for accelerating on rear wheel drive?
After getting into esk8 I’ve had to reteach myself how to keep weight towards the rear end because I’m used to riding downhill and keeping everything ( weight) up front.
I felt like with front-wheel drive I could potentially ride the way I always have by keeping my weight focused over the front truck.
Which would allow the rear truck to follow and not get wobbles at high speed.

1 Like

When accelerating your body will naturally fall backwards and apply pressure. My legs get tired constantly putting pressure on the front :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Don’t skip leg day

7 Likes

On single drive I lose traction quite often. I would not want that to happen on the truck I’m steering with :grimacing:

4 Likes

Yeah I can’t help but agree with Kelly that this seems more stable at speed. Acceleration would dampen wobbles rather than worsen them

But @rusins is right about weight. That’s track driving 101

That’s fair! I’m on dual 6374s with 107s so the grip is immense

2 Likes

I think with a front-wheel drive set up this kind of stuff would be solved with throttle control.

2 Likes

Im riding a FWD hub motor board and it was the best choice for me ever to do so, bc im an old street skater and we like to skate up and down the curbs. The biggest benefit of all is that i now can pop the rear truck against small curbs, by lifting up the nose in a simulated ollie movement similar as know from chinese ollie trick (simulated bc you dont need the tail to pop)without killing my hubmotors or motor mounts which i fucked up almost weekly in rear drive configuration. Thats more than awesome and i discovered electric skateboarding in a very new way.

6 Likes

Thats sweet,

So you’d say if someone who trick-skates wants a powered board, they should go with Hubs on FWD?
I know nothing about trick skateboarding

2 Likes

YES YES YES, NO COMPROMISE!
You wouldnt believe how hard i treat her without any issues since i ride FWD. Tricks are one thing, bc of the weight you will not able to do real ollies with FWD or a kick flip, but like i mentioned curbs are no more board killers by simply lifting the nose up like every street skater does.
lots of fun.
Double edit: I rocked my baby almost 5 hours today, bc i can swap my battery packs and i have lots of them :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Edit: the lighter the board the better, small packs of 20 cells are totally ok to get the fuck up in the air. Would not do it with a heavy board though, bc i think the rear truck would break sooner or later. Its the perfect solution for cheap chinese hub motor boards. Little city cruisers to get around the block having a fun hard short ride.

3 Likes

Off topic, I just rode my buddies one wheel, talk about legs getting sore. 5 miles in I was smoked.

5 Likes

Good info in here regarding front wheel. I agree with the conceptually it sounds right, but I imagined it’d just feel weird. Most things probably do until you get used to them…

I’m in the situation where i only have to change motor direction (10 seconds in Unity app nutttt) and bushing tweaks. Will probably try to do 20 miles on it in Cleveland if it doesn’t snow hard 10th and 24th

1 Like

Fwd is better in snow

1 Like

However you can reverse that arguement about braking. So it could go either way still

6 Likes

I’ve been wanting to try FWD but it requires too much effort, I run all of my boards with split angle trucks

2 Likes