Front Wheel Drive Discussion

Good info in here regarding front wheel. I agree with the conceptually it sounds right, but I imagined it’d just feel weird. Most things probably do until you get used to them…

I’m in the situation where i only have to change motor direction (10 seconds in Unity app nutttt) and bushing tweaks. Will probably try to do 20 miles on it in Cleveland if it doesn’t snow hard 10th and 24th

1 Like

Fwd is better in snow

1 Like

However you can reverse that arguement about braking. So it could go either way still

6 Likes

I’ve been wanting to try FWD but it requires too much effort, I run all of my boards with split angle trucks

2 Likes

Lift off oversteer is the greatest sensation in a fwd card

Wait… Angles are dependent on motor position, not just front/rear leg stuff?

Why?

Pls give simple explanation, my brain is utterly fried the past few weeks

1 Like

55ºish front 35ºish rear if I just flipped the board around and ran it backwards it’d be weird

You can also accidentally tag the brake?
And malfunction into full brake when you are not expecting it? Your argument can go both ways just like the weight shifting

2 Likes

l m a o…

Yeah, my mind just derped. Got eeet. Baseplate change isn’t a lot of work tho? Undo kingpins to remove entire drive train. Leave only baseplate and it’s screws. Swap baseplates (8 screws…) Redo kingpin… and done. If you take off baseplate with entire hangar and drive train attached it’s a pain in thee dick. Dunno why I didn’t realize that my first week doin this.

OFC this is for symmetrical decks.

3 Likes

I get to decide how much effort I’m willing to put into this… so I stand by my statement:

let’s not turn this discussion into a cogging thread,

4 Likes

I’m just saying the kingpin thing for future tardos like me to see who may not have realized it.

Would be great if we had a wider variety of more compact adjustable baseplates as well.

1 Like

In my experience these two scenarios are not comparable. Reason I say that is, the rear wheels being able to slide has never saved me from going over the front when accidentally or over-braking. There seems to be a sliver of a a chance with the front wheels slipping on accel

2 Likes

Randal has 50º 42º and 35º baseplates get a 2º and a 5º wedge and you’ve got what you seek…

now back to the FWD discussion

2 Likes

Please dont

2 Likes

Does wheel spin happen on pneumatics?
I have never managed it , though mostly ride thanes.

Seems to me the weight shift thing is mor prevalent on pneumis since they compress more, though they grip more because of it so less spin?

3 Likes

cojonez grandes

3 Likes

What? You got a pic of this brake setup?

1 Like

sounds crazy. Never heard of a configuration like that.
Interesting.

1 Like

I been FWD for about a year now. Both on my cruiser board and on the race board. First I thought that the difference was marginally, but a couple of month back I tried to change back to RWD on the racebaord for the track. It threw everything off. Changed back to FWD very quickly again.

For me the biggest differences are:

Being pulled rather than pushed. I just like the feeling of being pulled instead of pushed.

Most weight up front. This makes the weight lead the board instead of it being dragged behind. This makes it easier (for me) to do the very tight turns on the track. The board recovers more quickly and are ready faster for the next turn.
I really like to have the heaviest part of the board under the foot i have most my weight.
It Feels like it breaks better as when we break we lean a bit foreward. I do experience spin from time to time under heavy acceleration where the weight is pushed back from the acceleration.

On my cruiser board I have the motors in front of the wheel. That looks a bit weird. But the motors a strangely more protected up front. Doesn’t get all the stones from the wheels.

When cruising its mainly the pulled vs. pushed thing I feel. On the track pushing it the other things come to play.

11 Likes

im interested in the reasonaing for this. Why use the drag break rather than have normal breaks? i have heard of others doing this whilst racing but never an explanation why.

2 Likes