šŸ”„ Freefly Arc200

What esk8er has time to watch youtube videos? They wanna get riding and go! xD.

But it does appear that many of the configuration options are unnecessary to actually get the thing running. I think they should have had a tool that has a basic and advanced mode, so new users wouldnā€™t get overwhelmed/scared by so many settings and numbers.

This would be perfect for an ebike builder though, since from my understanding, diy ebikes inherently need more tuning anyways. Which is probably why their website has a picture of an ebike XD.

Maybe some of the more advanced esk8 builders here could also help with making a few tutorials for the less experienced ones or newbies.

1 Like

I honestly donā€™t think itā€™s any worse than when u first tried to config a vesc long long ago.

That being said, I heard a from Freefly a few weeks ago that they are building a new GUI that is much simpler, this is based on feedback from real users.

1 Like

Iā€™ll make 1, Iā€™m not sure it will be better than Freeflyā€™s but Iā€™ll give it a shot :grinning:.

1 Like

Ah I see, so like the VESC, it just needs time to mature and adjust to the community. Maybe in time it will eventually become the go-to ESC for DiY?

Thanks man, we all appreciate that.

1 Like

Had a little snigger at this. :smirk:

6 Likes

Do you guys think they will ever make a dual?

1 Like

I hope so, it really is a great controller.

Me too when I typed it :grinning:

4 Likes

I doubt it. The premise is that itā€™s modular and usable across many platforms like esk8, esurf, scooters, etc. In multiple configurations in each like single motor, dual, 4wd, etc.

1 Like

itā€™s like all i do.

5 Likes

Wow, this thing seems pretty robust! Maybe it will scoot my fat ass around off road one day.

Thanks for the review and info!

2 Likes

Itā€™s not really a review, Iā€™m honestly curious why more people arenā€™t using them. The price is competitive, the out perform all other options, they are a little big when compared to a FocBox but not when compared to a VESC 6.

Itā€™s huge compared to the x-maker mini doc, and thatā€™s still 6.6

Everything is huge compared to the X-Maker Mini FOC. It also supports half the amps. You have to take that into account, more head room equals more real estate.

The VESC 6 Plus is 75 x 70 x 18mm and supports bursts up to 120a. The Arc200 is 90 x 55 x 20 and can support bursts up to 200a out if the box and continuous current up to 200a with adequate cooling.

1 Like

Also remember that the hardware revision means little to nothing. Itā€™s features, reliability, current limits and longevity. Theyā€™re are plenty of v4.1 VESCs that can committed with and beat v6 vescs in these categories.

Marketing. Just too less people know about them. How they work and what they can and how they perform.
I remember the beta units which where sent out a while back to some people on the other forum, but there where no real final summary or some review. It was everything still in testing. (Correct me if I missed out something over there).

If you wouldnā€™t start this thread here they probably would totally disappear from our esk8 radar.
They definitely have a comparative price if to look at the maytech 6.6 200A

Or the vesc7.

But size is a limiting factor for lot of the people here, so do I really need a 200A esc for a dual 6374? Probably not. Maybe if you live in a hot are to have a better cooling, but than again the motors will probably overheat, so no win there.
Last point is the available hardware which will work with the esc.
For vesc based controller there are now a lot of hardware available to work with. Light control, Bluetooth/nrf modules to change your settings via app etc.
If I remember right the arc has a build in logging system, but not sure in how far there are other ways to connect devices.

I see them as a good option for 80xx motors though. On emtb where space is not an issue they would fit just perfectly.

6 Likes

am looking to build a emtb. so i would be interested in a gb price

1 Like

What purpose have these connectors?

3 Likes

I think they are just nice locking/Waterproof phase wire plugs.
It is weird that theres 6 for a single tho.

1 Like

These arenā€™t phase wires, theyā€™re communication connectors. Like for a sensor cable, pwm, dual drive cable etc.

1 Like