FrankenWheel {{Landwheel L3-X Mod}}

The problem with the drill batteries is that the wires came loose from time to time and I think that’s not too good for the ESC. I think I might have damaged the ESC during one of the disconnections.

1 Like

Finally got around to doing a real range test today. It was super fun to see how much this board has improved by adding all of the new batteries. I have much more consistent power throughout the whole range of the battery life and about the expected amount of range. This board already travels way further than my normal board, so that is pretty dope.

Here’s a screenshot of my ESC monitor data from after the ride. Looks like I managed about 23wh/mile.

I think it is saying that I drew 396wh but I don’t really know how to properly read that. Someone could correct me on that if they get it.

I ended the ride with about 32-35% left in the tank. That is a real-world charge too since I have the 0% set at 3.4v in ESC monitor. Given the nature of the ride, I was absolutely hammering hills into the battery, I think that I could make it much further on a more conservative ride. I believe at this rate I would have been able to get 3-4 miles more. But again if I was on more flat pavement, I would expect at the very least 20 miles. Here’s a link to the Strava track for anyone who wants to look:

I am pretty satisfied with this result and will continue to get more data as I ride the board more. Couple issues I ran into though. The first one being the state of the enclosure. Most of it is fine still, but the very front piece broke along a layer line. I kind of expected this to happen, so I will just reprint it in a better orientation. I had brought some extra bushings and washers with me to try out, which I did not end up doing, but I stuck a stick and a washer against the screw to limp along the last 3 miles back to my starting location. Surprisingly that worked out fine and I made it back alright. It did have a nut on it, I just took it off before I took the picture.

One of the other enclosure pieces cracked from a printing crack, so I will probably re-print that piece too. Every other part of the enclosure did fine though, and I expect it will last just fine. I hope to paint it all a uniform color one day to make it better.

Interestingly the Landwheel hub motors did just fine and provided way more performance than I expected, especially on hills. The acceleration of the board isn’t too crazy, but that is to be expected. One of the hub motors got MUCH hotter than the other though, and I am not exactly sure why. It also happens to be the one with the slightly loose sleeve, so I have to wonder if the lack of contact between the sleeve and the motor had something to do with trapping more heat.

Using my hand to test the heat of the motors, I would say that the one with the normal tight sleeve was around 60 degrees celcius and the hot one was probably around 80 celcius. I know approximate temps based on feeling 3D printer beds lol. @pkasanda maybe you would have some idea why one motor might be getting so much hotter?

Anyways, it was a good ride. I still will take my TB 110’s for comfort any day, but this is cool to have as a second board, especially with the great range.

I realized later in the day that I actually posted this in the wrong thread, so here we go.

I opened up the board yesterday and found the issue within like 10 seconds. Apparently one of the skinny phase wires had broken out of its bullet connector. Soldered it back on and we’re good to go. It’s a wonder how I made it 4 mi before it broke, I wonder how long it’s been underperforming?

1 Like

Did you finally found out the cause?
I have the same issue.

Honestly I am having a hard time even remembering what I was talking about then.

This board needs a revival sometime

Yeah, its long time ago.