Frankensteining iconwheel

I have the Iconboard Iconwheel / dandan Unicool D2 (2017) but the controller circuit board inside is broken…

(TT-XL-V1.2 • 2017-07-09)

I’d love to get it running again.
So I’ve been trying to build a hoverboard ESC in to it. But this ESC is for 2 motors and the board only has one. Maybe that’s why it’s only bipping and not at all running the hub.

Any ideas or experiences you guys can share or recommend?

I would buy a VESC for it but don’t really want to spend 200+$ on it - and I live in Europe so I risk told expenses too…

Ideas for a cheap solution to get it running would be much appreciated.

1 Like

Hey hast du es mittlerweile zum laufen gebracht???

2 Likes

watch this, there should be nothing majorly different on your build.

1 Like

Not yet…
I’m looking into finding a cheap VESC with/and IMU…
But looks like it’s now easy to do for less the 200$/€

Hi,
I bought a faulty ICON Board and got it running again.

My approach was unfortunatly the wrong way round, otherwise I would have found the error much faster:
I measured the battery, that was fine, then tested the hub motor with a FlipSky FSESC 6.7 VESC and the motor was also working fine. (Even though I had two cables swapped, because as you can see in the first picture in the thread they are not plugged in according the color codes from the factory, but I didn’t realized that when taking everything apart and just soldered and wired everything in correct color order to the VESC board.)
Then I worked my way through the pcb by searching from the 3.3V power connectors to the 5V to 3.3V converter (IC right above the speaker) further to the 12V to 5V regulator 7805 (see attached picture, labled in blue).
So I connected 12V from my bench power supply with a over-current-proctection of some milliamps and amazingly the board beeped, so this low voltage controller area seemed fine.
Then I searched further and finally measured the two 1 ohm resistors right after the battery input at several kilo ohms.
Unfortunately I had no 1 Ohm resistors, so I just used two 0 Ohm ones. But it did the trick - it’s working for some days now like that :slight_smile:
I’m not sure if these two resistors were actually used as shunts or just as cheap fuses. Cause as you can see yellow marked they also used a wire bridge instead of the foreseen charging fuse on the pcb.
I bet your board has the same failure!?

The only issue I have left: the board doesn’t level at 0°, it is maybe 5-10° tilted., therfore riding is better in one direction then the other.
Does anyone have a manual and can check if that can be re-teached / or can it be programmed by UART?
Best regards - and don’t fall!

1 Like

1 Like

Thanks a bunch Jan! That gives me new hope!

I’ll look into that!

I’m actually educated as an electrician - but everything under 50V is electronics and out of my comfort zone.

I had a dude who knows Onewheels look at it but he just said what I kinda already knew: The controller board is not working.

I even found the Chinese factory and emailed them, but they just replied that they don’t sell parts or the board anymore as it is discontinued.