Forum Adjustments and Updates

Yeah that didn’t make much sense to me too.

4 Likes

I don’t believe there is that option.

1 Like

Yeah it’s a complicated system. Can you tell me if mods get pinged when a user deletes their own post?

I didn’t get what you meant by this?

I don’t have that kind of clout around here. So I just say things which doesn’t seem right in a public and relevant threads so that others can join in and voice their opinion, if they want. Also often times, I feel, people don’t speak up for fear of repercussions. So anonymous voting among regulars would be the best way to get a sound opinion. Also this solves the problem of the loud minority – which might include myself.

1 Like

This seems much more complicated then it has to be. Why can’t we just have a Week Long poll with options, have it pinned like announcements usually are? And that’s the binding decision.

If it’s a matter of whether or not something should be made into a poll into he first place , let’s just make a thread dedicated to wanted/requested features/ changes and which ever has more than 3 likes/ are poll-able and then we do them in batches.

Not trying to armchair here , just throwing out suggestions.

Genuine question:

Has there ever been a single rule or change that was discussed with the community before it was declared law?

I feel like often we’re discussing changes after they already happened.

3 Likes

You can’t just make a new post in your build thread?

The ability to see previous edits was canned during a previous software update, I don’t remember which one. Its not an option, its apparently a ‘feature’.

The problem is that an Op will edit the post and delete the contents of the post and a title to say something stupid like “mods delete this”. That’s why the only fix is to remove the ability to edit from L2 users.

I’m calling BS on that. I have people straight up abuse me in PM’s and in Public,

This doesn’t make any sense to me. You type some stuff, you pop in some pics, why is edit needed?

I stand by this statement…

If @BillGordon or any other mod wants to reverse my changes, then feel free. My issue is getting so much pushback without A SINGLE SOLUTION TO THE ISSUE.

I don’t necessarily think anyone disagrees with you Mike, the reasoning makes sense.

Maybe it’s just a discourse qualm. I completely get the trust thing and seller record, and the fact of the matter is maybe it would be fixed if discourse allowed you to change edit privileges based on category.

Obviously it doesn’t affect me since I’m L3, but I literally edit so often, typos, adding text to a response, adding a quote, etc. etc. Surely you must see the usefulness?

Most people can’t type it perfect the first time - even if you read through it a few times before you post.

7 Likes

For this I attest to. My current build is already going through since changes that make the contents in the title and the main post itself outdated and untrue. Since I’m Lvl.3 it no issue for me but for someone who isn’t it’s an issue. Sure they can make an update post but it still restricts their freedom on how they want to upkeep their build thread.

3 Likes

Yeah exactly, I understand fighting for NOT allowing the feature in selling threads

I do not understand fighting for NOT having it at all

3 Likes

Of course I do, but I can only change options which are available.

This is not possible.

I don’t think anyone has argued for disallowing the edit feature completely. I am just trying to solve a problem.

2 Likes

Yeah see that’s just unfortunate. It’s probably not coded to work that way {split permissions across categories}

1 Like

Like this one? Well, I guess I can. However, I’d like to have it all in one, e.g. here > Forget the grip use Glass Frit

That would be the way to go though, in my opinion.

With the data cap issues and that gif of @kook spitting coffee everywhere, I decided to do some research.

I don’t think we need to backup all the gifs here. It’s just downloading copies of existing files and rewrapping them in a new container. The remote image sniffer comes by every 10 minutes or so, sees a gif, and downloads it as a local copy.

Turns out you can blacklist sites from downloading local copies. Can you try adding giphy.com to that list?

Tldr: More storage, still gifs.

3 Likes

Or limit edit numbers per day to avoid possible @dickoz situations

2 Likes

I believe that’s already in place separately. Still wouldn’t stop someone from unloading a sale of junk and then deleting history though which is Mike’s biggest concern I believe.

There is certainly an air of safety behind what he is saying. I don’t think he just wants to see all our typos :blush:

So many typos…

Lets pool some ideas on how to protect edit history, prevent dump and runs, yet still be able to change our threads and typos. Based on discourse logic, trust levels is certainly the easiest way. I’m honestly shocked more members aren’t regulars given how often I see them. Having to get permission to make a change to your own thread seems annoying too though.

6 Likes

I feel like most people aren’t because they don’t know what the actual requirements are haha I went and looked a long time ago and purposefully completed all of them

1 Like

Is that, that big of problem that it requires removal of editing rights. The “Mods delete this”, I, myself, have done it too, but once pointed out by you, I never did it again. People learn. People graduate from being a newbie to being a contributing member. I think not letting people structure their thoughts, make grammatical edits is a huge impediment. It’s not a problem that plaguing this community and affecting people by and large that it needs such drastic measures.

5 Likes

I think it’s more of a mental change from Mods delete this to “mods close this” however, new people don’t know

Although I’ve seen both things so hard to say

1 Like