Forum Adjustments and Updates

Yeah exactly, I understand fighting for NOT allowing the feature in selling threads

I do not understand fighting for NOT having it at all

3 Likes

Of course I do, but I can only change options which are available.

This is not possible.

I don’t think anyone has argued for disallowing the edit feature completely. I am just trying to solve a problem.

2 Likes

Yeah see that’s just unfortunate. It’s probably not coded to work that way {split permissions across categories}

1 Like

Like this one? Well, I guess I can. However, I’d like to have it all in one, e.g. here > Forget the grip use Glass Frit

That would be the way to go though, in my opinion.

With the data cap issues and that gif of @kook spitting coffee everywhere, I decided to do some research.

I don’t think we need to backup all the gifs here. It’s just downloading copies of existing files and rewrapping them in a new container. The remote image sniffer comes by every 10 minutes or so, sees a gif, and downloads it as a local copy.

Turns out you can blacklist sites from downloading local copies. Can you try adding giphy.com to that list?

Tldr: More storage, still gifs.

3 Likes

Or limit edit numbers per day to avoid possible @dickoz situations

2 Likes

I believe that’s already in place separately. Still wouldn’t stop someone from unloading a sale of junk and then deleting history though which is Mike’s biggest concern I believe.

There is certainly an air of safety behind what he is saying. I don’t think he just wants to see all our typos :blush:

So many typos…

Lets pool some ideas on how to protect edit history, prevent dump and runs, yet still be able to change our threads and typos. Based on discourse logic, trust levels is certainly the easiest way. I’m honestly shocked more members aren’t regulars given how often I see them. Having to get permission to make a change to your own thread seems annoying too though.

6 Likes

I feel like most people aren’t because they don’t know what the actual requirements are haha I went and looked a long time ago and purposefully completed all of them

1 Like

Is that, that big of problem that it requires removal of editing rights. The “Mods delete this”, I, myself, have done it too, but once pointed out by you, I never did it again. People learn. People graduate from being a newbie to being a contributing member. I think not letting people structure their thoughts, make grammatical edits is a huge impediment. It’s not a problem that plaguing this community and affecting people by and large that it needs such drastic measures.

5 Likes

I think it’s more of a mental change from Mods delete this to “mods close this” however, new people don’t know

Although I’ve seen both things so hard to say

1 Like

How about this, new rule: Don’t edit/delete sales threads, ask for a mod to lock them when they’re done.

If the community sees this happen, they flag the post, and a moderator can come restore it and talk to the user.

That would address the issue without causing impact on a large number of new users. We should also be encouraging moderation action through community flags, as that’s how the system is built to reduce moderator time spent.

Side note: Sometimes I post big garage sale threads, and clean it up as it progresses just so people don’t have to scroll through a bunch of SOLD stuff. Is that a no-no as well or am I granted that right as a level 3 user? Don’t we still have record of edits regardless?

13 Likes

When I go on to create a new for sale post, I see this default template. Why not add a line asking people not to delete post once done and that this post is meant to stay.

4 Likes

dibs on that my friend.

that’s easily solved.

Just make a collapsing thing to put all sold stuff in there.

Press here to open

Sold stuff

edit…well to do that you would need editing rights. Makes it *impossible for non level 3 folk

5 Likes

not harder, impossible.

6 Likes

fixed ^^

2 Likes

I like Andrew’s idea, no deletion of sales threads, all sold item should be marked as sold and put into a drop down

It is very annoying scrolling through a thread trying to figure out what is sold if it’s not been marked

11 Likes

Discourse is built entirely around community-generated flags, which can then be addressed by moderator action.

The response to community flags are based on rules. So long as we have these rules clearly defined, we have an entire forum moderation system built around this escalation chain via flagging, and this keeps things super simple by design.

Rather than make changes that impact every single new user whether or not they’re even interested in buying/selling here, why not just set rules that reinforce the behavior we want to see from users?

This is also probably a great example of why it would be nice to have these kinds of conversations before rule changes are made. I’ve asked for this a few times and it doesn’t seem to be in the cards as of yet, and is also one of the reasons I chose to withdraw Patreon support.

If the community doesn’t actually have a say in the rules that define our engagement, this is not a “community-driven” forum, it’s a “community-funded” forum directed by a few folks. Given that there are also no clear avenues towards voting in moderators or accountability for when moderators break rules, it doesn’t feel like users have a ton of say here if I’m speaking frankly.

18 Likes

Yeah, I think we definitely need to solve this, but the current attempt is having too many deleterious effects to be the right solution.

I’m going to reset the edit function, but I request that we keep looking for a proper fix.

9 Likes

Meaning that if the community wants more of a voice in decisions, which I wholeheartedly support, then the community should start by figuring out how to share those opinions.

7 Likes