Forget the grip use Glass Frit

Nothing sticks to silicon. Nothing not paint not varnish. Stuffs a pain in the proverbial. I put smears of it on woodwork sometimes to piss off the painters. Does that make me a bad man?

15 Likes

God that sounds frustrating

4 Likes

I only do it when they piss me off.

10 Likes

I got a pack too. But, I am not a very artistic person, so don’t really know what pattern will look good on my board. @Sender, do you have any suggestions for me? I was thinking having a gradually decreasing density from truck to the center on both sides.

9 Likes

Well, the coarse frit you got is pretty damn course. I prefer medium frit the most.

Honestly, I am just really slow well spreading to get it consistent. Taking a little bit in my fingers and dropping from a good bit above. After I get it close I am taking literally a couple individual pieces and placing them in gap places.

Then I get a second set of eyes on it (normally my wife) to check for any missed areas.

@longhairedboy don’t you use a card or something to deflect the frit to get consistent coverage?

10 Likes

I second what @sender says I like the medium and fine.

2 Likes

I should have listened to you all, my board looks fugly now. :sob: Plus transparent frits would have been better I think.

19 Likes

It doesn’t look bad. What did you do? It looks like you dripped epoxy/poly onto each piece of frit individually or something.

You could pop those bad boys off and give it another go. But you may have to refinish a bit.

Do those feel pretty “locked in”? They look like they may pop off as you even reposition your foot in normal riding

1 Like

Yep, you guessed right. Epoxy. It’s already set. I’ll let it cure a bit more overnight to see how they feel like.

I’ll give it a little time and if I don’t like it, then I’ll just hammer the frits out, sand the surface and refinish.

2 Likes

Did you sand the deck first? What kind of finish was on the deck?

1 Like

I cleaned the deck with isopropyl alcohol. Just that. I didn’t put any finish or grip tape.

It’s a skateshred deck. Not expensive $40. So won’t feel as bad if I mutilate it a bit.

2 Likes

If you didn’t presand the deck, those will probably just pop right off and you can get a do over

2 Likes

Yo da man. With a little impact from a hammer it pops right off. Yay!!!

3 Likes

Did you not read the tutorial dude sanding is step one :grin:. Whether you are clear coating or painting you need to sand the deck especially if it is from skateshred or brand name board because they have a clear coat on them when they come. Its a good thing you posted pics because if you rode the board the frit would have came off easy and you get back home with nothing on the deck. The reason for sanding the board is to create a surface that a epoxy or clear coat will be able hold onto if not you will be able to basically peel it off in pieces.

5 Likes

Actually it took me some good work to get them all out. I did ride them out for 1 mile or so and they didn’t budge. But I am glad that I didn’t sand the surface, otherwise it would have been a mess to get my board back to normal. Haha.

2 Likes

yes. I mostly use Enertion business cards from late 2014. I have a stack of them.

It helps deflect the sprinkle flow into a more even scatter pattern, and does a great job of giving you more even dispersal at the edge of the deck.

21 Likes

I would’ve used the cf money clip. I could imagine it’s perfect for this task.

36 Likes

Fucking literally.

19 Likes

But @Sender does it shirtless and oiled up like wolverine.

Yea, some frit does get on him, but its the only soft parts on him.

9 Likes