Folding commuter?

Hey guys

Thinking out loud here, need your contribution/opinion.

If there was a complete and good product with the following features:

Longboard 40"(or around) ready to action.
Folding in half for easy carryon/storage (mechanism works very good and convenient)
90mm wheels, dual drive
2x 10s2p batteries, interchangeable. Use two in parallel or only one. Easy and sturdy way of mounting/removing/charging
Say around 6-7kg auw

Do you think there’s a market for this?
Would you buy one?
Does folding offer any advantage?
What would you add/remove to make it a “very good” commuter solution?

Thanks guys, looking forward for your take on this

2 Likes

I’ve done a lot of looking at folding boards over the years, and I’ve always been less than fully satisfied.
Its possible to make and make well, but… I tend to feel its not worth the effort.

Its been tried a lot by many different people, and yet its never caught on.

With Eskate you’ve got some added complexity, and added weight. I’d hate to have the big heavy motor end swing down and have my fingers somewhere they shouldn’t be.

I think yes it offers advantage. But I don’t think its a huge incentive to buy.

1 Like

I feel that the benefits of a folding mechanism do not outweigh the drawbacks of having of one like potential electrical and mechanical problems you develop if the design of it isn’t perfect. I just personally like the idea of a solid and reliable platform and just dealing with the issues of transporting it. Standing the board vertically is fine for me and I can pull it around on two wheels if needed.

2 Likes

I read this as folding computer.

And I was like “bro. That’s a laptop”

Then I opened the thread, and I’m a little disappointed.

8 Likes

Is it something like this?

I’ve seen this.
It’s really cool and nicely engineered.
As far as I know it doesn’t have a removable battery and I heard that the folding thing isn’t latching all that well.
Also, the bases are flat, which might not be an ideal.

Anyone has an opinion on this one?

1 Like

Remove :arrow_right: hub motors

Add :arrow_right: complete waterproofness. I want to toss it in the ocean, then ride it, then store it for 2 weeks, then when I get it back out it still works. If it can pass this test, I will begin listening to a sales pitch.

6 Likes

In this thread I learned that Brian drives a Tacoma :smiley:

Tacoma engineers build tools, not toys

Something we around here need to learn more about.

I hear too much about marketing features and top speed/range and very little about robustness in real world conditions or ease of transport/repair.

3 Likes

I agree if the goal of one’s build is to be a tool and not a toy. Your opinions on this topic have shaped the way I think about my builds and how to ensure they’re as simple and enjoyable as possible. Still your comment about the ocean made me remember this episode of Top Gear.

No one suggested hub motors… I don’t like them either.g
The other point is a very good one, add resistance to elements.
Although two weeks in the ocean is a rough one, not even military missiles have this

No, just dunked in the ocean momentarily, then ridden for a bit. Then stored in a home for 2 weeks. Then does it still work? Because that’s the real quality test

Around here we’ve got no ocean, but we have rain and snow, and salt the roads when it snows… which is similar to ocean water.

I’m assuming you’re talking about the electronics and batteries, right?
I’m assuming it will be rough on the bearings

No, I mean the entire skate.

Of course, for the time being bearings are a consumable item in that circumstance.

But cars don’t eat bearings in brine, so obviously we have improvements to make.

3 Likes

I don’t think any meaningful industry has found a need for highly brine resistant 8mm-15mm ID , <25mm OD bearings… thus, they likely do not exist in any meaningfully attainable way…

Car size bearings on the other hand… There’s a massive industry for that…

If you want to be the one to go through the process of creating that supply… I’ll uh, be a customer.

1 Like

What about instead of folding, you use sliding, so one half of the deck slides under the other half.

1 Like

That’s one of the options I considered.

1 Like

To do a short summary of the results:

Folding doesn’t necessarily add advantage, and 30" board is portable and compact enough.

Balanced (weight) when carried.

Watertight/proof/resistant to elements is a must.

No one addressed the interchangeable batteries. Is it an advantage? Say one on the board and one in backpack? More?

1 Like

From what I’ve found this seems like one of the more stable prebuilt options. Never tried it though. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1948823070/boardup-the-worlds-first-self-folding-longboard

1 Like

bearings of that size made from 316L and 440C stainless steel are used in the food processing industry

even in that application they are contraindicated for stagnant liquids. gotta keep the corrosive liquids flowing, and the equipment has to be cleaned out before being left idle

they’ll wear out faster on our skateboards simply because stainless steel isn’t as strong, durable, and hard as crmo steel, or even the cheap carbon steel i assume is used in no-name bearings

bearings with peek or ceramic rings/races are even more corrosion resistant than stainless steel, but would fare even worse on a skateboard

1 Like