Flipsky Mini FSESC4.20 DRV FAULT

(disclaimer: far from an expert)

Generally the motors are pretty robust so unless you had a sustained high current fault (you would notice smoke and a terrible smell) the motor should be fine. With that said, the error code saying 227A is not super comforting.

Does the VESC still spin up?

2 Likes

I don’t understand that number… the VESC settings are 50A for the motor and 25A from the battery.

I want to clarify that i’m worried of mechanical abuse of the motor, i haven’t run it at high current.

My vesc turn on correctly and seems to work fine. But now every first remote throttle I get that DRV fault… maybe a short between motor phases??

3 Likes

Sorry for your issue but welcome to the flipshit ESC world. I went with their ESC’s a few times (v4.2) and had the same issues each time. I would trash them, and if you’re looking for a cheap reliable ESC, go with a MakerX. When my Flipy ESC threw a DRV code I wanted to see what one would do if plugged into the wall :rofl: paging @b264

3 Likes

+1 for MakerX, I have experience with their Mini FOC/Mini FOC Plus, DV6 and I recommend all 3 of them depending on the use case.

3 Likes

Yeah my 4.20 blew as well, I can’t tell if it would give a Metr output because I don’t have a Metr pro module, but it looks like it’s fully lights out.

I’m not quite at that point yet but that module gets closer to being detonated every day. I’m studying electronics so I’m using it as a guide on what not to do and at least getting something interesting out of the autopsy

2 Likes

Maybe your uninsulated phase wire bullets touched for a brief second? I like to use transparent tape (fiberglass one, hehe) to insulate them from one another. Let’s me see that they’re still plugged together well.

1 Like

Do a hand test on the motor, focus on step 7.

What are the results?

2 Likes

Just checked the MakerX website, the Mini FOC should be enough given that I’ve run my vesc at max 30A until now. And it’s also really small, a big plus for my setup!
I’ve read that theirs VESC use different JST connectors (not the PH), do they also sell pre-crimped connector extension ?

There’s someone in this forum from EU that replace the drv chip or it’s not worth it? :eyes:

I had isolated phase wire bullets in the enclosure but now that I’ve unassembled all the components I wanted to try the motor after several attempts to remove the stucked pulley to test that I haven’t broken it but maybe I screwed myself right here by not isolating the phases during the tests… :upside_down_face:

I did it.

The motor with phase wires not connected seems to spin fine.
During tests 3,4,5 I noticed that connecting phase B to phase C and hand-spinning the motor clockwise it feels smooth and not choppy as in the other cases… that’s might be an issue?

Yeah definitely try a new motor then. Or check the solder joints on the phase wire bullet connectors?

3 Likes

So it’s not a vesc related problem? Can I use this vesc to test a new motor or risk of damaging it?

Sounds like it’s motor related. If a phase becomes disconnected, it can causes current spikes that trigger the protection features on the DRV.

2 Likes

So can I use this vesc with a new motor without problems?

Moreover, there’s a way to fix the motor?

You should be able to test the ESC with a different motor.

Check the soldered connections on the motor like the bullets etc.

2 Likes

Ok, thank you!

I checked the bullets and they are well soldered!

what about a wrong weld on the motor shield’s inside?

Could be that the phase wires broken internally, I’ve done that to a motor before. Difficult to repair.

1 Like

Damn… ok thanks.

For the future, If I got the Vesc’s driver chip blow up, can I damaged a motor by connecting it to the vesc and spinning it?

Unlikely as long as you make sure you have a fuse or some kind of circuit protection on the battery.

I don’t fuse the discharge line.

The anti spark switch can be helpful or not as circuit protection?

No, it does not feature short-circuit protection.