FLIPSKY FT85BD Customizable ESC

There is a new esc on the market, not a vesc, but is customizable. Thoughts? Experiences?

I’m a solid 95% sure the firmware under the hood is just vesc firmware based, they’ve just changed the way everything interacts. I’m just having a hard time believing they’d go through so much effort to design the firmware with so many vesc comparable features when they would rather steal a BMS design from a college student than design their own.

1 Like

Your probably right, this video showing the process looks very similar to the vesc process

1 Like

my guess is they have an actual internal developer now, who probably made a lot of changes for automatic switching frequency detection, “gear” modes that you can wire on a switch etc (low med high), horn and other things

they may simply not care about open sourcing the stuff for their VX remotes etc aswell, maybe it actually is something new but with pasted code from vesc, who knows really

i just think they stole most of Vedders’ stuff and modified it

1 Like

I’ve got one in a board. Goes alright, definitely looks and acts the same as a vesc just uses their shitty looking version of vesctool.

I couldn’t get mine to program with the remote even though I upgraded the firmware but using the PC app was simple enough.

For the aud$160 I paid can’t knock it as it works with plenty of power and there’s the option of running it at higher voltage than the 12s is running now.
Politics aside, it runs the same as any other vesc…for now.

2 Likes

I don’t really agree that there is plagiarism or stealing of VESC’s technology. Because if you understand the motor parameter detection and FOC operation principle, in fact these steps are indispensable, VESC just share these to the public to use. If you take a closer look at TI’s software and ESC Tool, in fact, these steps are also required. Excellent program, everyone is happy to go to the reference design. For VESC such a good program, there are related producers to reference is not surprising.