Flipsky 75100 foc for esk8, good ?

The drawings say 33.8mm tall so that should fit in a lot of enclosures, not all but 40mm+ ones aren’t that rare

The specs say IP54, but they don’t seem very sure of that so I’m kind of unsure about mounting externally

Makerx, little focer

Dual 14S?

Hello! First post here. Just bought two of these for a DIY scooter with a hub motor. I’ve actually followed the VESC project for many years. Stumbled upon it in maybe 2016 just as 32bit processors were beginning to appear on RC ESCs… Im an electrician/electronics tech; for a hobby I’ve been into electric RC aircraft for a long time, was active when brushless motors/controllers hit the scene which basically coincided with the intro of lipos/lion for power. It’s been interesting watching the motor/controllers evolve to personal mobility.

Im going to crack one open tomorrow, take some good pics and give you my opinion on the build quality. Hopefully, I will have time to install and test tomorrow as well.

11 Likes

hi, i have this ESC and tested it already with an aftermarket Xiaomi M365 Motor on 16s. lipo battery. It works quite good is my impression so far. The motor has some crazy torque after it reaches about 20kmh. The initial torque is not good, but I guess i have to play with the throttle settings because throttle is based on current. I really consider pairing this ESC with Bafang BBSHD Motor in the future, maybe it will turn out to be amazing match.

4 Likes

Hey sounds like a good plan! A couple of us have some initial pics in another thread below, and I’m curious to see if there’s much unit to unit variance so if anything looks different on yours that’d be very interesting. Mine are currently sealed up with some 3D printed mechanical supports for the capacitors and quite a lot of silicone

2 Likes

I just saw this thread. I was looking into this too for a diy e-scooter project.

For everyone that cant believe the prices, this is around the same price/power rating as those generic 20s scooter/ebike ESC’s. Perhaps flipsky is taking a loss/less profit to gain foothold in that market?

The main advantage of this being a fully programmable VESC.
The main disadvantage is that it’s not compatible with those nice ebike/e-scooter LCD’s, pedal assist, horn, lights, etc without doing diy jank.

Hope the specs are as good as they claim! Interested to see how they’ll hold up amongst the hundreds of generic cheap ebike controllers out there

2 Likes

Yeah they’re not even fully fully programmable, they don’t support BLDC (though I wouldn’t be using that anyway) and it seems they lack the ability to update the firmware to future versions of VESC FW. That could be a much bigger issue based on the statements from VESC devs about upcoming features. I would be surprised if VESC development didn’t start to incorporate more escooter-specific features (like maybe a standard for easy display out) as those grow even more in market size

2 Likes

Saw on their website saying support for speed display, wonder if they have something like a broke man’s davega in the works?

it already exists:

You’d just need to print a bike handlebar friendly enclosure for it

2 Likes

its not a broke man’s davega. it’s a clone of the original davega :rofl:

Try raising your motor max (phase current) a significant amount, and lowering the battery max (power limit) a tiny bit

2 Likes

Sorry fellas, I promised to report back about the 75100. Going through some unexpected life crap right now, I had to put fun stuff on the back burner… Anyway, I just got the ESC installed in a Ninebot Max, 10s 12500mAh pack, bypassing the BMS for discharge. Using thumb throttle on ADC1 and hand brake (mechanical/electric)on ADC2…
First time VESC, I did a little research but was mostly on my own figuring out VESC tool, Its so intuitive, I had no problems setting the motor up. Performance is great!! Im REALLY impressed with the torque, top speed is less than I expected but I guess I can’t do much but increase voltage. Im open to suggestions if any setting might help with speed.

FOC is incredible, dead silent. I thought E scooters were quiet before VESC, FOC brings it to another level. Impressive!

Im sure Im going to be tweaking setting but where I have it now is better with low end torque and smoothness than any hacked stock ESC Ive ridden.

As to build quality. I did do a teardown, I took tons of macro pics of each and every part of the PCB/components. I need to reduce file size of the pics because their ridiculous as is. Maybe I can put up a Google photos link.
Anyway, I thought quality was great. Thermal management was simple but effective.

Question about Bluetooth. I have several Nrf52840 modules. Do they need to have firmware flashed onto them or will generic nrf52 modules work if Gnd, 5V, RX, TX is connected?

4 Likes

BTW, saw it selling for $68 on AliExpress today. Before I knew better paid $120 on Amazon just before Thanksgiving!

Do you have a link?

I swear I saw it while screwing around looking for something unrelated but a quick search found this. $72 plus $3.60 shipping.

Hot 75100 FOC Single Drive ESC 75V 100A Brushless Sensor Motor Speed ControllerBase on VESC for Electric Skateboard Ebike|Skate Board| - AliExpress

2 Likes

Yeah I couldn’t find it earlier today when I saw this post pop up, but it does regularly go to $65-75

2 Likes

The forum will reduce their size automatically if you upload them here.

I’ve been playing with this on an ebike. I’ve only tested it up to 35 battery amps and 50 motor amps for several minutes straight up a hill but so far so good.

Flipsky’s refusal to provide the firmware source code (so it can be updated) makes it really hard to recommend this to anyone though. What a shady company. Not only is that a dick move, but what about a year or two down the road when field weakening is mature? PAS is fully implemented? Still stuck with 5.2?

I’m working on creating a hardware config for this version so we can use the normal firmware. It has a very similar layout to the 100/250 with 3 battery shunts and independent gate drivers. Already have the shunt config, shunt voltage divider resistances and ntc resistance/beta value for the fet temp figured out. GPIO pins next.

I’m just not sure what makes it incapable of BLDC? The EG3112 gate drivers? Disabled for fun?

4 Likes

Generics need to be flashed, but will work. That’s what I used to configure it. This is probably obvious, but RX on the NRF module goes to the TX on the VESC

See here how to do that, I did the ST-Link method. (same process for the 52):

1 Like

Ok good! Ill download them soon.

Awesome and thank you for the NRF module info!. I have a crapload of the Arduino/Circuit Python modules made by Sparkfun and Adafruit. I figured I could get them working somehow. Yeah, I learned the TX/RX to RX/TX lesson a long time ago. A little counterintuitive at first but it makes sense when you think about it.

A far as locking down the FW, not surprising at all. Their culture doesn’t recognize or value open-source as western society does. Hell, look at what they do with patented IP, they ignore and treat it just like they do open source, copy it (sometimes with absolutely no shame) and sell it as their own.

Yeah, leaving out traditional BLDC commutation mode is weird. Is another “version” coming out that will make you “pay” for it to be enabled? Lol!H

Holy crap, 35A battery and 50A motor? I put mine at 75A motor and 100A battery ! too high? I figure its only going to have high currents for a few sec at most.

Question about switching frequency. I raised my from 25khz to 30khz. Any problems with that?

1 Like