FlexiBMS Public Support, Feature & Troubleshooting Thread

oh i see what you mean

yes wil do that as soon as i have to back together

Bump

1 Like

I just looked through the firmware code and as far as I can tell, the blue LED only gets enabled when the Flexi thinks that USB got connected. This is definitely weird. Hopefully Simo can explain it.

1 Like

Do you guys have also problems with connecting the BMS with Metr for a while?

Trying to connect to FlexiBMS Lite 12S 1.0, I’m not able to issue any commands

b264@computer:~$ cu -l /dev/ttyACM0 -s 115200
Connected.

Invalid command, type "$?" for command list

Anytime I press any key, it immediately responds with Invalid command, type "$?" for command list without waiting for me to finish typing or even press enter.

Does anyone know how to connect to this?

Same thing happens using other connections:

Screenshot from 2022-01-08 16-08-32

Any keypress immediately responds with error. Any key on the keyboard. (except, it seems, Ctrl+Shift+J)

This is using 115200 baud, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit, no parity, XON/XOFF flow control

No combination of newline settings change anything.

Try pasting in the whole command at once

1 Like

Good idea; I hadn’t tried that.

Unfortunately it doesn’t seem to work.

1 Like

I would say flash it back, not from USB, with the programmer

1 Like

I’ve seen that same issue with a coworker using PuTTY and it was caused by the terminal sending each button press individually and at least in that case it worked correctly when they first wrote the command in a text field and then copy-pasted the whole thing into the terminal via mouse right click.

based on the 4 “invalid command” messages I’d guess the terminal has tried to send 4 individual characters, which each would cause the invalid command message. Now I’m not super familiar with PuTTY’s quirks but could there be line termination characters like newline and carriage return, which could explain the output from a “$?/n/r” or $, ? and enter?

Unfortunately, this hasn’t worked either.

This is only because I pressed four keys. Every keypress or paste event sends the same thing. Curiously, except Ctrl+Shift+J which is a line feed character, I think.

Even pasting $? yields the same result.

I have used like 7 different terminals, I just sent text of cu and a screenshot of PuTTY as examples. They’ve all done the same thing.

You’re back! :smiley:

@Zach and I have been trying to get a hold of you to pay you for the FlexiBMS you replaced him, that now I own! Your paypal won’t accept payments D:

2 Likes

I’m assuming you have configured VESC’s via USB, so you should have the STM32 VCP drivers on the computer?

It’s fine, it was a warranty replacement.

1 Like

I use picocom and paste the whole command in. That works fine. I’m on a Mac but picocom is available for linux as well. It’s worth a shot.

1 Like

We know that the COM-port works, because it receives the message from the BMS correctly, so it seems that the problem is on the computer’s TX end, but it’s weird if he is getting the same behavior with multiple different terminal programs (would be a weird coincidence if they all behaved the exact same).

1 Like

I know but it still sounds like a terminal issue to me. Each character sent individually. Testing with a terminal that’s known to work would be worthwhile IMO.

1 Like

I’ve tested both arduino IDE terminal and I personally use Hterm.

1 Like

Yes; and in fact VESC Tool sees the STM on the USB port when I plug it in.

Do you have another computer you could try with, just to isolate if the problem happens only on your current PC?

1 Like

THIS WORKS!

Thank you Jan!

b264@computer:~$ picocom --baud=115200 --flow=soft --parity=none --databits=8 --stopbits=1 /dev/ttyACM0
picocom v3.1

port is        : /dev/ttyACM0
flowcontrol    : xon/xoff
baudrate is    : 115200
parity is      : none
databits are   : 8
stopbits are   : 1
escape is      : C-a
local echo is  : no
noinit is      : no
noreset is     : no
hangup is      : no