FlexiBMS Lite - Flexible Configuration BMS w/ CAN-bus

Well I done did ordered the PnP machine kit.

I’m building a new pack for my everyday riding. I’m stepping up to a bigger enclosure, but not into the mega-pack I’ll be building in the summer. I’ve been using these Pelican-style carrying cases (SE/Seahorse-series from Serpac), as they are nice and rugged + they are water & airtight (as long as I seal my connector holes properly).

Here are my current enclosures, with my current pack (smallest) being on top. My new intermediate pack in the orange/red in the middle and then the mega-pack at the bottom.

Top: SE120, 10S6P 35E, ~700 Wh
Middle: SE300, 12S7P 50E, ~1450 Wh
Bottom: SE520, 12S36P 35E, ~5000+ Wh

I’m ordering the 0.5-1 boards today, alongside a couple other boards and a stencil for the BMS. Depending on how things flow time-wise, I might try to do the assembling of the next tester batch with the PnP depending on how much tinkering I need to do to first build it, configure, calibrate and learn to workflow on it.

12 Likes

Let me know when it becomes available and I’ll be keen to send some dollars through

1 Like

Same here. Battery is waiting :frowning: but excited

1 Like

@SimosMCmuffinn where did you get those enclosures? Thanks

I buy mine from Digi-key.

https://www.digikey.com/products/en/boxes-enclosures-racks/boxes/594?k=&pkeyword=&sv=0&s=38357&sf=0&FV=-8|594%2C1989|0&quantity=&ColumnSort=0&page=1&stock=1&pageSize=25

1 Like

Looks like this BMS would fit between the cell blocks of my onewheel battery and report cell voltages over can - exactly what I need! When there’s a chance for a fellow Finn to get one, count me in :grin:

3 Likes

Quick update.

Got the LitePlacer kit yesterday, have the frame mostly assembled at this point. Gonna back out the bolts a little bit, true the chassis, re-tighten and bolt it to the table today.

Also got the 0.5-1 PCBs and the stencil for them. Need to build a jig for this at some point and practice using it.

Have wired and been testing the practical test battery for the production tester.

Got my new 21700-50E cells for my new pack.

Built a couple more of the 350W PSUs

Found an accounting firm finally and gave them a call. I’ll be going over to their office at the end of this week or start of next week to put in my LLC company forms and talk about bookkeeping.

22 Likes

Damm they look slick!

2 Likes

RD recommend this one (for the 5020): https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000402859916.html

Btw, with the 5015 you will never be able to balance the pack, or does it go up to 50.4V?

@Scepterr also found this interesting unit:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F163691525142

1 Like

That’s literally what we want but it’s just too big. You are almost still better off just using on of the higher output meanwell PSU

I was looking at the Mean well RSP 1000

5v 0.5a aux power was thinking I could run a extra fan of it

If you don’t intend to charge 13s then it might work. But I’d prefer to get a real 60V supply.
You could stack two 27V supplies for some serious power though.

It’s a up to 55v supply, max output is 50v so should be fine depending on the losses in the DSP 5020

1 Like

Yes, I noticed yesterday that the output is limited to 50.0 V on the 5015, as I got the production testing pack to “fully charged”, but it is also limited on the 5020 to the same voltage, so “technically” you can’t fully charge your 12S pack with it, but you can get your cells to 4.15 V which is pretty much full. There isn’t much more energy you can into them at the top end voltages.

Also should help a little bit the pack durability by not cramming it right to the top, which I already was doing on my 10S (charging to 4.17 V / cell on it). Works for my use.

Not sure if I’d want to sell that unit, because possible liability with the safety certifications, but would consider it for personal use. Otherwise excellent power/price -ratio (assuming it performs to spec). Too big IMO for portable-carry charger, but might work decently for desktop use.

Here’s a quick rendering of the comparative sizes of the PSUs. From top:
MW LRS-350
MW SE-600
NVVV S-1200

Here’s an actual image of the two Mean Well units on top each other.

The SE-600 is already a pretty chonky boi in it’s size and I still need to attach the DPS-buck regulator to it. Probably gonna try to attach it in length direction. It’s gonna be pretty dang long unit, but I think it would still fit into my travel pack that way without eating too much space.

I wouldn’t recommend the DPS-bucks (at least 5015 or 5020) for anything higher than 12S, as the output voltage is limited indeed to 50.0 V.

Gonna be pretty big and you need to still ensure you get good airflow if you do double+ stack the PSUs. Not a problem with the MW SE-600 or NVVV S-1200, as they are “blow-through” ventilated, but problem for the LRS-350, as the fan pulls in from the top and exhausts from back.

DPS5015 and 5020 spec "Input voltage range: 6.00-60.00V ", but you need 55 V input at least to get the 50.0 V output, so configuring the PSUs to output 55-57 V would be the sweet spot.

Expensive (200€ @ Mouser), worse power/price -ratio than the LRS-350 or SE-600, but better form factor than the S-1200 or SE-600 for that matter. Also a blow-through airflow. Might make a better portable power charger thanks to it’s higher power and form factor, but at a higher cost.

I’ll keep my eyes on this unit at least for a test unit. :+1:

LitePlacer has been bolted to the table and I have made the hole for the up-looking camera and mounted it. It hasn’t been calibrated in case you’re wondering that it looks crooked. Need to do some office work today.

4 Likes

Good replies!
Yeah, the size is what keeps me from getting it. But at 4x the power of any normal charger it’s gotta be big.

May I ask what your opinion is on the 63V/103V Cycle satiators (ignoring the price tag) is?

Also, is the RD6006 on your radar?

It’s a commercial AC/DC ready-to-use charger with configurable voltage and current. If you’re happy with the 350 Watt charging power and high price tag for that power then I’d say go for it. It’s a nice ready unit and would work the best as a travel charger. DIY route will get you more power for a given price, but usually ends up with a bulkier and less neat (depends on your own effort) package in the end.

Current easy DIY approaches don’t easily cater to the 12S+ packs in voltages also. There are higher voltage DPS-modules, but they are usually just 5-6 Amp output, so they might form the bottleneck in your charging setup.

I have checked it out, but the lower current output capability is a deal-breaker for me. Otherwise it has better control interface and display. I would consider it for testing equipment that I’d need to control via PC.

1 Like

Exactly my thoughts. I am assessing for myself if I need such a travel charger. If I do, there is no way I can DIY that smaller and cheaper AFAIK.

Personally I would recommend looking into units that can actually fully charge 12s, 13s and maybe 14s packs, as that would make it also useful to the many ebike people and thus be much more versatile. (Edit: assuming you plan on sharing your designs or selling units)

Not sure if this is the best one, but they seem to exist:

Oh also, just FYI, because you mentioned you were using it while camping - Such a boost converter might be of interest to you to charge directly from solar or some power bank.

Input Voltage: 0-75V
Output Voltage: 0-60V
Output Current: 0-24A
Output Power: 0-1440W

Would work well for anything up to 14S, but dang I really don’t like that wireless control interface. I wish it was wired like in the 5015 and 5020. Not bad price for the specs etiher.

I meant by camping, that I would go to camping sites and ask if I could just buy a tent spot and charge somewhere for free, or I could just buy a RV spot and charge with that, if they otherwise won’t let me charge.

Can’t carry solar panels with me (or at least big enough to make sense) and I’d rather just have one big pack with no “boosters”.

Well these units are just packaged from available AC/DC PSUs and DPS-modules. Nothing special in them.

1 Like