Yes, in the industry we have to play with termination resistors (for DeviceNet networks, shitty field bus BTW).
Even if needed, sometimes it works without it.
The mystery of electronics.
In our eskate, we are below the meter length. That’s why it works even if it’s the mess with those resistors. 
I’ve been receiving multiple PMs from people interested in the project asking about reservations for boards and about when they would be possibly available for purchase. Here’s a clarification for the current timeline/schedule on the development.
There’s currently 2 things happening side-by-side. I’m setting up my company and I’m running the HW development for 0.5 iteration.
I will be making a couple hand assembled test boards for the 0.5, as I have done for all the earlier iterations as well. I’m not opening tester applications for these, but I will be sending a couple boards to a couple of FW developing testers. Once things look clear at least on my end (HW testing wise) the board will be ready for production batch, assuming everything looks good.
Alongside this I’ll be doing some company bureaucracy business of setting the new company up, making the name change and once the accounting is up and running I’ll start asking for quotes from multiple board fab houses and start filtering through them. Then I’ll negotiate with couple of them for the specifics of the build and see if they have any immediate feedback for the job. Usually the normal delivery times for a fab order are in the 4-8 weeks.
So when could I possible be ready to ship stuff? Hopefully somewhere around Q2 of this year. I’ll set up a webshop for selling. I have tinkered around with Squarespace sites in the past out of interest and set up some trial mock-up shops in there. The payment system is a bit more question mark at this point, as I think they use strip as the default payment processor, but I’ll have to see what kind of country support they have for Finland.
Closing up this post I’ll do a poll on which orientation of the micro USB-connector are you planning on getting. If the poll is clearly showing preference one or the other, then I may do some optimization of the PCB assembly order and get them to pick&place the more popular connector on most of the boards and get the rest without the USB connector soldered, so I can then based on demand hand solder the wanted one on them.
- Horizontal orientation
- Vertical orientation
0 voters
I appreciate the updates! Out of curiosity, is there a chance to see USB -C on these boards?
Why you all voting horizontal? Doesn’t it make more sense to plug in from the top while bms is installed in the board?
I voted horizontal because it would be much easier to protect from damage.
well my way of seeing this is that most board enclosures are longer more than higher so horizontal is better. I guess it all depends on your enclosure. Just depends how high your enclosure is and not everyone has a double stack.
imo of course
I think even with the port vertical it’s gonna come in under 18mm… every horizontal port in any of my enclosures is a pain…
Horizontal ports make sense for plugs that are permanently installed, but it makes a lot more sense to me to have this one vertical as it will only be plugged in when enclosure is open.
I was thinking the same. Wtf who wants horizontal ports.
I hate the horizontal ports on the focbox. If all is a close fit plugging in a USB port is frustrating.
Also those components on the pcb + balance wires will make the usb almost the same height I think.
And pls add usb C if it is even 5 euro more, I don’t care.
Sorry, no USB-C coming to this board model, space constraint.
Measured the vertical connector height and it came to ~8 mm above from the top of the 1,6 mm thick PCB.
PS. Just came back from a ride in the crisp January weather, just a bit under zero Celsius.
I for one prefer horizontal because in an enclosure, if i sandwich wires on top, i don’t want anything to put pressure on the port that can break it.
With normal usage, i shouldn’t have to connect it often, and if i do have to connect it, my enclosure will be open and gutted anyways, giving me any and all access i need.
Shucks.
Well I think you’re all batshit crazy for wanting that port horizontal.

I think really depends on the board you have
My beta I ordered with the vertical port since it was going on a Hummie deck, a horizontal one simply wouldn’t work
But now that it’s going on my MTB the horizontal one would be way better
Personally I think that horizontal is much more robust, lower profile and less likely to get in the way of wires and things.
If I’ve already pulled my whole board apart and taken the enclosure of to get to the BMS cause I want to update it, then what’s the problem with removing another 4 screws?
oh lol did not think about that bit ![]()
You have never snapped off a vertical connector of a flipsky esc its a bitch to resolder twice now.
Ok, ok you all seem to have valid reasons… except for Louis 
Even when vertical it will be less than 18mm I’d even say the balance lead socket will be taller
The photo is misleading and people will think the height may be a issue when it is the opasit
Horizontal will forse people to locate the board in non optimal and awquard position trying to leave the port accessible. And more suseptable to damage as you leaver the bms up to attach a usb cable.
No, but I did snap the horizontal usb connector off the diebiems while trying to connect to it when it was installed in the board 
Vertical because it’s more accessible when you have space constraints on your board/enclosure. Horizontal just doesn’t work when you can’t access the sides. If you are worry bout robustness you can also strengthen it with a dab of glue or just print an enclosure around it.

