FlexiBMS Lite - Flexible Configuration BMS w/ CAN-bus

Jesus christ…

I’m looking at my living room (more like workroom) and just thinking of removing one table and building the pick-n-place machine in it’s place… Need to build the solder paste stencil jig… Reflow oven is usable already… Then just the production tester…

EDIT: I’m thinking of buying a Liteplacer open source pnp machine. The guy who sells the kits, lives about 20 minutes away, so support isn’t too far away.
https://www.liteplacer.com/introduction-f-a-q/

8 Likes

Needs a couple more iterations, but it’s a good proof of concept for the testing jig for the charger and battery pad connections.

I’ll edit this post to add the later iterations once I finish it.

13 Likes

Do you use spring loaded pins for the connection ?
I’d interested to see how you managed to make it. :+1:

2 Likes

I was originally planning on wrapping a couple layers of copper tape on the contact surface and then soldering wires onto the tape, but looks like I have none on hand at the moment, so I just twisted some multi-strand hook-up cable around the clamps. Should give a pretty good contact even on a slightly un-even surface. I’ll test it today.

EDIT: Works well. No problems with the contact resistance even at 10 Amps.

12 Likes

Is there any way of including a fuse on the charge input (instead of using a inline fuse) looks as tho there might be space but proberly is not.

You can simply put a fuse on your charge wire. Here’s what I have:

2 Likes

I suppose the 5 mOhm current measuring shunt will burn/blow away if there is a large spike, cutting the battery pack’s negative terminal.

Seems more like a fault than a feature ( i know thats not the intention of the shunt though).
@Darkie02, why not use a cleaner external solution? Something like @janpom pointed out above, or if space is not an issue, a personal favorite of mine-

1 Like

That’s what I do use but why not integrate it in to the bms? Why are we still adding a cable between another component? Is the only argument because we always have done it that way? Or is there a legitimate reason some one would not want a fuse on the charge when use it this bms?

1 Like

Because it’s easier to replace when it does blow. I’m for keeping it separate/modular so that pieces can be swapped out

6 Likes

I’m using pogo pins from SparkFun to build the “bed-of-nails” production tester jig.

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9174 https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9174

Also I got some feedback from the tester group about the charger and battery connection solder pad sizes and their clearance to the mounting holes, so I made a minor HW revision of 0.5-1 with these things corrected, I anyways needed to do another PCB order to get the solder paste stencil for the board, so I can order the new PCBs in the same lot.

10 Likes

So what changed for it to be now viable alteration?

Testers brought up the clearance between the mounting holes (bolt heads) and solder pads. I decided to enlarge the mounting hole pad sizes and increase the area around them a little bit and needed to move the solder pads at that point anyway, so I updated their location and sizes at the same time.

6 Likes

Well I done did ordered the PnP machine kit.

I’m building a new pack for my everyday riding. I’m stepping up to a bigger enclosure, but not into the mega-pack I’ll be building in the summer. I’ve been using these Pelican-style carrying cases (SE/Seahorse-series from Serpac), as they are nice and rugged + they are water & airtight (as long as I seal my connector holes properly).

Here are my current enclosures, with my current pack (smallest) being on top. My new intermediate pack in the orange/red in the middle and then the mega-pack at the bottom.

Top: SE120, 10S6P 35E, ~700 Wh
Middle: SE300, 12S7P 50E, ~1450 Wh
Bottom: SE520, 12S36P 35E, ~5000+ Wh

I’m ordering the 0.5-1 boards today, alongside a couple other boards and a stencil for the BMS. Depending on how things flow time-wise, I might try to do the assembling of the next tester batch with the PnP depending on how much tinkering I need to do to first build it, configure, calibrate and learn to workflow on it.

12 Likes

Let me know when it becomes available and I’ll be keen to send some dollars through

1 Like

Same here. Battery is waiting :frowning: but excited

1 Like

@SimosMCmuffinn where did you get those enclosures? Thanks

I buy mine from Digi-key.

https://www.digikey.com/products/en/boxes-enclosures-racks/boxes/594?k=&pkeyword=&sv=0&s=38357&sf=0&FV=-8|594%2C1989|0&quantity=&ColumnSort=0&page=1&stock=1&pageSize=25

1 Like

Looks like this BMS would fit between the cell blocks of my onewheel battery and report cell voltages over can - exactly what I need! When there’s a chance for a fellow Finn to get one, count me in :grin:

3 Likes

Quick update.

Got the LitePlacer kit yesterday, have the frame mostly assembled at this point. Gonna back out the bolts a little bit, true the chassis, re-tighten and bolt it to the table today.

Also got the 0.5-1 PCBs and the stencil for them. Need to build a jig for this at some point and practice using it.

Have wired and been testing the practical test battery for the production tester.

Got my new 21700-50E cells for my new pack.

Built a couple more of the 350W PSUs

Found an accounting firm finally and gave them a call. I’ll be going over to their office at the end of this week or start of next week to put in my LLC company forms and talk about bookkeeping.

22 Likes