FlexiBMS Lite - Flexible Configuration BMS w/ CAN-bus

How is the link with the metr pro coming along will it be configurable thro the metro app and the information acesablr thro it?

@rpasichnyk

1 Like

Bestech is garbage.
I hope this doesn’t get outsourced to chinatown. Will gladly pay the extra $ for build quality. :hugs:

5 Likes

that is what i am hoping! I want to get my hands on one as soon as production is ready :grin:

3 Likes

I’m meeting up with a couple of possible accountants for the new company next week. Hopefully we find a good accounting firm/person and I can start moving forwards with the paperwork for the LLC.

On a side-topic I’ve been working on a little board with a colleague that looks a little something like this…

Note. Not planned for esk8 use, but rather at this point just for HW testing and FW development. Current planned end application would be for controlling the electric actuators for this that we are gonna build with the before-mentioned colleague.

7 Likes

@janpom has been doing amazing working in making it happen, actually already tested by making the FlexiBms pass as a DieBieMS and got cell voltages in Metr

3 Likes

Happy family. :slight_smile:

29 Likes

Flexi vs diebie :heart_eyes:

15 Likes

What’s up with that low cell group?

Best integration in the world😍

1 Like

I had a bad P-group on the battery pack that I only recently replaced. I yet have to charge it individually to make it match the other groups.

In fact, it’s pretty good for demo purposes so I think I’ll leave it lower for now. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yeah it would be interesting to see if the BMS could balance this pack back to level.

5 Likes

I have already experimented with that a little bit. Getting a single low cell balanced is a lot trickier than balancing a single high cell since it requires leeching all other cells and that emits a lot of heat.

1 Like

This will help a noob like me attempting my first battery build soon.

1 Like

Yes I’m in the same boat

1 Like

No reason why it couldn’t. It would just take a long time to bleed the other cells down to the low one.

2 Likes

Maybe a good test case for that always on balancing :wink:

Any idea on when you will be selling them? Would love to use it to monitor my battery :slight_smile: @SimosMCmuffin

2 Likes

giphy https://esk8-news-objects.s3.dualstack.us-east-1.amazonaws.com/uploads/original/3X/a/9/a955da0d83dffa2bace8c94b3adac4e197693580.gif

7 Likes

So I went ahead and tested it. It can surely do it. It just takes a lot of time. This was on a 15 Ah battery. Obviously, the higher the battery capacity, the longer it takes to bleed the parallel groups.

Yellow bars indicate which parallel groups are being discharged. Current setting is that at most 5 bleeding resistors can be used at the same time so that the BMS doesn’t overheat. The temperature was below 60 Celsius all the time. No heatsink or any kind of active cooling was used (except for me putting my finger on the BMS MCU a few times to cool it down so that I can sanity check the temperature readings :smile:).

This was my starting point:

After 3 hours:

After 5 hours:

After 7 hours:

After 14 hours:

Note that I had the DAVEGA and Unity powered from the battery pack all the time for monitoring, which is the reason that all the cells were loosing charge. This wouldn’t happen otherwise (or at least not to this extent).

I’ve been experimenting with the FlexiBMS extensively in the last couple of days and I’m gaining a lot of trust in it. I found a few minor problems in the firmware that were easy to fix. Hardware wise, it seems rock solid though. So far it handled anything I have thrown at it like a champ.

15 Likes

@janpom, so flexibms has the canbus protocol identical to diebiems?

1 Like