Flexible coupling wheels

:wink:

9 Likes

Maaaybe. I’m talking about the distortion of a tire front-to-back here - not just the vertical and side to side distortion.
This is what a dragster tire does:

Now obviously a skate tire with a one-inch sidewall is not going to distort like that from the forces we are talking about. But I put it to you it will distort more than that flexible coupling will under the same force.
Keep in mind the wheel itself is so light so spinning it up it won’t introduce any shock - it’s the shock of spinning the tire against the ground or suddenly decelerating it we are talking about.

But maybe I’m wrong and a tire is rigid like steel in the forwards-and-backwards direction? Seems unlikely to me.

2 Likes

Personally I would be very surprised if you saw ANY deflection of an esk8 tire in most scenarios. Only time I think I’ve seen it is @JoeyZ5 with his big qindas at low PSI, and extreme torque. I believe that the torque coupling can only do good, especially with plastic gears.

3 Likes

This is quite awesome actually👍🏼
I use shaft couplings like this on production machinery to interface extremely high torque servo motors to pulleys, gears, etc.
They are usually made from polyurethane 84-96a. They last forever with zero backlash.

@Nordle :fist_right:t4::fist_left:t4:

7 Likes

I feel like it’s more about slowing down the shock. Distributing the force over time effectively reduces the immediate shock force. I feel like this is an excellent innovation for gear drives which have no ‘give’ anywhere else in the system.

5 Likes

s-l400
Quite similar couplers have been used in washing machines and last forever(until your eleven y/o throws 3 loads worth of laundry into one at a 30 y/o one :expressionless:)

5 Likes