Flex with a big battery below?

Hi Community, so I’m Planning on my first build and wondering how much flex one can get with a large battery below my board? I commute daily on my zealot, at least 15 miles a day (work and back), and ride a large part of the time with my feet closer together (like a foot between at times) and close to the center, don’t know how people can ride distance with their feet at the far front and back of the deck the whole time?
Seems like a non flexible battery and enclosure like I see below torque boards for instance, and many other builds, would feel like standing on a sheet of 3/4" plywood? Is that the case? How much difference would a flexible battery pack with a ribbed style enclosure make? Wish there was a way I could stand on different builds with big batteries all the way under the deck and see how they flex. Am I worrying to much about the flex? need comfort, speed and range…lol!! What are your experiences? Thanks so much for any of your expertise!

BTW, I like the traditional style longboard, no mountain board or big air filled wheels planned.

My 2 cents. Flexy is definitely more comfortable on the feet especially on longer rides, in my experience. Supposedly you can get foam grip tape now that’s supposed to make it more comfortable, but I haven’t used it. There are still boards with ribbed enclosures that can hold quite a bit, but that’s going to be a longer board not sure what you’re going for.

If you’re using a nonflexible enclosure and battery, you should consider getting the stiffest deck you can find like DH decks. People have broken batteries, enclosures, and decks mounting a stiff enclosure onto flexy decks as it puts an added stress on every component in different ways.

2 Likes

im going 12s4p 30Q on a loaded vanguard build. Likely will get me 25 miles of range of reasonable riding on 97mm wheels. There are decks with segmented enclosures that allow for flex. Even prebuilts like the backfire hammer demonstrate this well. Full length enclosure with a ton of flex.

flex will give you a lot of comfort. I’m a sucker for flexy decks because I live in NYC where we have notoriously shit roads. If your roads are fairly smooth, you’d do fine on a stiff deck.

2 Likes

I assume eboardsperu enclosure? I wish there was somebody with a wowgo 3 deck and vanguard enclosure from alan to see if it fits. Would love to upgrade if i can ensure i get it as water-resistant as mine is now.

1 Like

Are you putting the flex battery on the zealot or going with a whole new build? We do flex batteries and enclosures on a custom basis.

Thanks for your answers, been a while since I’ve been on here? Point well taken on getting a stiff deck if I can’t figure out a flexy enclosure. I saw an enclosure made out of 100% silicone that was interesting, not enough capacity though. I would consider a custom flex battery and enclosure order, Ref. It would be down the road a little more. Presently learning how to plastic weld my zealot battery enclosure that cracked front to back with a 1/4" gap between deck and battery enclosure cause of how it’s hanging currently. ,maybe I should hold off on riding the board when it gets below freezing? Got to get to work…lol.