First ever sorta-DIY - BKB Duo on a Sportster

Now, that’s clever :star_struck:

2 Likes

Hey now we’re talking! After one end is done just swap the trucks and do the other. Brilliant! :rofl:

1 Like

Dont forget to wet it a bit :rofl: sanding wet is better :+1:

Edit: Hmm not with wood actually, nvm what i said me dumb.

2 Likes

Yeh lol, when you raise the grain, you want to go back in and sand again

1 Like

Wondered if wider trucks would solve the wheel bite or just move the contact location, figured why not slap a Backfire truck on there and see what happens. They’re at or about 220mm

Plenty of clearance and I’ve got my full weight on the edge! They’re DKP, dunno if that’ll change things compared to the Boardnamics 220

I think it looks more balanced and quite badass. Was already thinking the stock trucks seem very narrow for those AT wheels. Appears the drop-thru would lower the board about 1/2" (those are Trampa 6.5 wheels pictured). Another win

But every DKP truck I can find are specific to pre-built boards and not compatible with Caliber motor mounts. Anyone know a product out there that’d work?

1 Like

Ha! Nice!

I would just pick up some 220mm boardnamics hangers. They’ll drop into those baseplates and likely give you the wheel clearance you need.

Didnt expect to see under deck motors on the sportster, nice work!

3 Likes

Ya I think you’re right. Just fishing ; )

DKP/TKP trucks have the axle pushed further out compared to RKP.
BN220 might not work as well as this backfire truck.

2 Likes

Possibly not, but they would be a drop in replacement for his current baseplate and motor mounts.

@redunzl if you wanted to go DKP you would have to buy pretty much a whole new drivetrain (trucks, motor mounts, belts, pulleys, hardware, etc). Only your motors would maybe swap over. Evolve sell their DKP trucks ready for motor mounts (Ownboard and Flipsky sell a knock off of these as well). TB sells motor mounts that work with those trucks.

I agree with @bwahl602 though. The BN220 hangers are going to be your cheapest and easiest solution. If those still dont give you the clearance you need, then you can used @b264’s trick with the grip tape to sand some wheel wells.

Oooorrrrrrr…

Coincidentally I have been daydreaming about a Bustin Sportster with a 12s4p p42a battery on a Ranger X2 drivetrain (yes, with the hub motors bitches :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:).

You, my friend, have the power to make my dream (nearly) a reality :metal:

5 Likes

Thanks for confirming what I found - no DKP out there compatible with these motor mounts.

I ordered the BNs and I bet they work fine. I’ve got my full weight on the very edge in the pic and there’s loads of clearance.

Y’know my X2 didn’t get much love once I had a couple belt drive options. But I went back to it during breakdowns of the other boards and started loving it again. It. Just. Works. Never done a lick of repair or maintenance and there’s something to be said for that. Bitches. I put Trampa air wheels on the front and it makes a world of difference.

If you do that build please post!

2 Likes

Finally had clean air and dry streets to test out this contraption. That deck is a dream! Most contour I’ve ever had on a board and it carves soooo easy! Love it.

Drive train works fine but I’ve got some wubwubwub noise I need to figure out. The brakes are strong but very touchy and I hate that. I mean strong brakes are fine but gimme a millisecond! Need to dig into the app and fix that.

Turned moderately hard with no bite yet. Certainly adds and extra level of excitement :laughing:

1 Like

You’ll want to adjust your throttle curve for the breaks to be exponential, so that it’s weak at first, but strong if you really need them. I’m surprised though, I usually find braking weak on small batteries…

2 Likes

Love this build!! Literally wanting to do the exact same thing. I have a sportster x right now and wanting to build a second board in a relatively cost effective way. This checks all the boxes for me (belt drive, pneumatics, and LIGHT!). Thanks for all your hard work in making it happen.

Curious how you are still enjoying the build and if you made any other adjustments since September?

1 Like