First DIY build, looking for criticism of my parts list and misc. tips

Hey all, this is my first time posting here. I’ve heard that for budgets under $1k it’s generally better to go with a prebuilt, but I’ve decided to go DIY with my $700 budget. I’m a “yungin” (name courtesy of the discord server) and I have very limited income, but my parents said they’d make a generous contribution if I go DIY because It’d be educational or something. I’m planning to run single motor for a few months until I can upgrade to dual. So anyways, here’s my parts list and I’d appreciate any advice you guys can provide:

remote- flipsky VX2
motors- flipsky 6354 190kV
Esc- maytech VESC 4.12 single
Battery- 10s2p 288Wh
Deck- Generic blank longboard deck
enclosures- ownboard dual
trucks- Caliber 2
wheels- Abec 11 97mm
mounts- boardnamics Caliber 2
belts- 320mm 5m15mm from vbelt supply
bearings- zealous
start switch- maytech antispark
total cost= $689

4 Likes

The ESC could be better but it should good out for a bit, maybe look into small stuff like riptide bushings

What wheel pulleys do you plan to use? On Caliber2 that’s going to be a very tight fit.

1 Like

Yeah, sorry I forgot to include it. I’m getting a 40T mboards pulley from a guy on the discord.

1 Like

Are they press-fit or bolt-on? Do they have bearings?

1 Like

Looks like you’ve got a lot of parts selected so far, but just a reminder that order of operations matters

That you have remote listed first and no helmet is odd to me

3 Likes

Hopefully from someone else other than mike-fucking-beard

4 Likes

Mboards doesn’t have such a great reputation, even if you are getting the pulley from someone I suggest you spend just a little more with someone a little more reputable.

If you want a pressfit I suggest Boardnamics if you need something state wide, Torqueboards, etc. otherwise there is a huge list of vendors who are also always active here and have some serious and awesome shit on sale.

2 Likes

Budget for helmet is $100 MINIMUM. get a full face, seriously. Preferably Snell rated. Also gloves are essential. Wrist protection is super important. Pads are super recommended. Do not skimp on safety. There’s also going to be a ton of small expenditures you’ll make.

Do you have all the tools to build ? You have soldering equipment ?

It would also if you told us where you live/what type of riding you’ll be doing ( alot of hills. Mostly flat streets etc) and what your expectations from it are. Your battery alone is going to be like $300 also