First Build - Thoughts, Suggestions?

Hello, Im relatively new to the forum and wanted some suggestions about a new build im planning. I currently have a bkb dual on a LY Osteon deck and im willing to use some parts from that.
Build:

Deck: LY Evo 36
Enclosure: Eboosted evo 36 enclosure
Battery: Mboards 12s3p or 12s4p (can’t decide)
Motors: Dual tb 6374
esc: fesc 6.6
Trucks: Either Surfrodz 200mm, boardnamics caliber clones or Kahuas (Can someone help compare these? I dont know which to go with)
Motor mounts: Boardnamics surfrodz if I go with Surfrodz trucks, Haggy mounts if I go with Kahuas or use my current mounts if I go with the Boardnamics
Wheel Pulley: 36T Kegel (cheapest I can find)
Wheels: 100mm Boas
Motor Pulley: 15T from current board
Remote: Either vx1 from current board or Hoyt Puck

Am I missing anything? I was also thinking of DKP Trucks but they might be a bit unstable for the speeds this board would go.

I had some concerns about the 36 inch deck but im only 5’6 and around 125lbs so I think I should be ok.

I would appreciate it if anyone had anything to add and im 100% open to suggestions.

Stay safe everyone!

2 Likes

If I were you I’d go with Kahua trucks and the Avio herringbone gear drive. Otherwise, Boardnamics trucks so you can keep your mounts. I don’t think Boardnamics makes mounts for Surf Rodz RKP trucks anyway.

2 Likes

Have you tried a dropped deck like the evo before? keep in mind that the space left to stand on will be actually less than 36" (because of the wedges).

Might wanna source your battery from elsewhere, Mike Beard doesn’t have the best reputation on this forum. Check this thread out: [WIKI] Trusted Battery Builders (Serious)

3 Likes

I haven’t ridden SR or Boardnamics, but I can tell you that Haggy trucks/mounts are really impressive and his customer service is impeccable. Love mine and definitely considering grabbing another set.

1 Like

My 2c on this for you:

I suggest looking into Mboards a bit more before buying anything, maybe ask @kook or search the forum.

I would suggest you speak to Alan before you buy this enclosure to make sure that you can mount how you want with it. I would also highly suggest using an Evo 39/40, you’ll appreciate the space and options, trust me as someone who made this mistake myself. it’s less about your height and more about what you can do in the enclosure.

Surfrodz abandoned us as a community, their customer service is wank and they don’t care. The trucks ride lovely but they end up being a pain in the ass with 10mm speed rings and bearings and cocking around with spacers. BN trucks are simple and work and Kahuas are the nuts, Timo/Jeff are also amazing for customer service and you get a complete package that doesn’t need to be fiddled with or have parts sourced separately.

If you go down the haggy route I highly suggest 90mm Senior Pepe’s. Proper Labeda urethane and priced extremely well. Boa is a shit company, that’s a fact.

If you like the profile of a puck that’s probably the way to go, consider a VX2 though for some cheap telemetry and they work well for what they are. Not the build quality of the puck however obviously.

9 Likes

Can confirm, these trucks are awesome. They are a little heavy, but beefy as fuck, and look very clean. The bushing that come on them are soft, but not shitty at all like most stock bushings. Riptide pivot cups and bushing (if you want something firmer than what comes on the kahuas) are a great upgrade, but certainly not needed.

Only downside is that there is not a whole lot of mounts/pulley options for them. If, for whatever reason, the haggy mounts dont work for your application then you are pretty much out of luck.

If you spring for the Avio MK2 gear drive, you will not regret it at all, and i think that Timo was doing a deal with the full drivetrain kit.

I wanted someone over 90mm. What are the downsides to Boa?

The main reason I wanted to go with the 36 was because of portability, and im very comfortable on short decks.

I think Im still gonna go with bd. Would you still recommend the Kahuas or Boardnamics?
Because I would be able to use the baseplates and mounts I currently have if I went with boardnamics. Are the Kahuas still worth it at that point?

I can’t seem to find a seller with included anti-spark, bms, power button and charge port with shipping to Canada. Would I have to ask someone to make a custom order at this point?

Kahuas use caliber style baseplates, so they are compatible. Mounts, not so much. If using those mounts is a requirement for you, then sounds like you have already made up your mind :ok_hand:

Most sellers will probably hook you up with a bms of your choice. As for power switch and anti-spark, have you considered using a loop-key? Arguably the most reliable and cheapest solution, there are some excellent threads on loop-keys around!

1 Like