First Build, Switchblade 40"+eboosted enc, TB DD 75Kv, 12s4p 21700 40T

Background
This is my first build. I have been hiding in the shadows on the forum a few weeks, reading and trying to learn from others experiences. Now it is time to start my own thread so I have a place to gather my noob questions. Sofar I have derailed @love2scoot build thread with my own question, beause he is working on similar build.

The build design and usage
We have had a Koowheel for a few years but now my son(12) is using that and it is time for me to build myself my own board. Will be fun riding with him as well. Apart from riding for fun I hope to be able to commute to work once in a while.

I have a background in engineering… but havent designed anything for a very long time. Maybe I still know the basics yet. Have built an ebike and some batteries. Better understanding of the theory than real life esk8 implications.

Design philosophy
-Fun to try stuff but when finished it should be reliable
-Based on reliable components
-Build as much as possible myself
-Steer away from “betas”
-Supervised electronics
-Hopefully I can get my son interested in the build and create a “junior” mode so he can try the board when it is fully tested

Components

• List item
    Landyachtz Switchblade 40" + eBoosted Enclosure
    Torqueboards Direct Drives, 75Kv
    Torqueboards 110mm wheels
    12s4p 21700 Molicel p40a, 45A
    Anti Spark or loop key ???
    Esc ??? in the dark about the reliability
    BMS, jbd 100A or Bestech D140 charge only

Motors
Back and fort between TB DD 75Kv and eLofty 58Kv. At first I wanted the ability to put AT wheels on but I decided to go with TB DD 75Kv mainly because of reliability.

Battery
I have used Lipos on my ebike build and I really like the power they bring, virtually no sag whatever the load. But this time I wanted something “safer” and “no-brain needed” when charging. But I still wanted a powerful pack with little sag so I went with the p40a 21700 cells, rated at 45A. I am not planning to use more than 100A max so with 4p the cells will probably have a relaxing ride with minimum sag. Want a bluetooth BMS with individual p-cell supervision, preferably both charge/discharge 100A. But havent found anyone that fits yet… Looking on the jbd/llt 80-100A but it is big. Or maybe charge only and Bestech D140. Hoping to get a range of 40km on 12s4p 16Ah. To work and back without charger. Maybe not, anyway no room for more cells.

Esc
Haven’t found the obvious choice here. Want something that runs FOC well. Reliable. UART. Looked at Maker-x, Flipsky. Initial plan was to use Unity but…

Anti Spark or loop key
Will probably start with Flipsky Anti Spark and prepare for a “loop key” solution if it fails.

At last, half of the components are ordered(but not received) and I am really looking forward to start building. The battery is first in line. I have already found a lot of inspiration on this forum and it is obvious that there is a lot of know-how and experience gathered here. I will of course make my own mistakes but I will also try to learn from yours so good advice will always be appreciated.

Will add pictures as soon as there is something to show.

Longer than intended, Cheers.

9 Likes

Budget @Kellag build :stuck_out_tongue:

But nah, great part choice! Only reliable & available ESC at the moment is Trampa’s VESC mk3, which is expensive, but saves you money on needing an anti-spark switch. So depending on the timeline of your build it might be worth it. (Or wait for Torqueboard’s ones and ship them together with the drives)

Also, I think you mean the Molicel p42a, not p40a (doesn’t exist). Also you’re missing a remote :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

What makes you choose DD?

1 Like

inb4 “because you canceled your 3gear drive”

2 Likes

Get as150 as anti spark. For esc you can wait for neobox or get original vesc6.
If you’re not pushing too many amps, use flipsky esc with conservative settings

2 Likes

Thanks!
Yes have seen the TRAMPA Esc and I’m sure they great but Incant justify the cost on this build, at least not until I have burned some money on blown low quality esc. Yes I meant p42a, was confused with the 4000 mah. Planned to use 40T but the tests on these looked really promising so I’ll try em instead.

Yes need remote, will probably start with vx1 or vx2. If not all advice against it.

1 Like

I want more urethane than hubs, I like everything about belts except the sound which I really don’t like. I have been following the development of DDs for a while and now I hope they are good enough to test.

Wait why not AT with TB DD?

1 Like

Hadn’t seen the as150 as anti spark. A serious connector! I have normal 150s on the K-weld. I guess you use them the same way as xt90 as?

Need to check neobox. Yes one thought is to buy a Flipsky and see how it goes. But I’d rather buy something that the crowd say is reliable.

About waiting for the TB Esc I had a discussion with Dexter about it but they were a month away and I don’t want to wait on the drives that long. So the drives are shipped. Only downside with waiting is the annoyance if it gets delayed. Otherwise I would gladly buy TB Esc to the drives. Many components already on its way and I want to get started.

Need to decide and buy remote and Esc next.

Have you tried the p42a’s?

No, I already bought Samsung 40Ts for my Switchblade. Were way cheaper, and I’d like to think that after a few dozen runs will perform exactly like the Molicels would.

Ok, I think you may be right. For me it was the same price and the 40T was out of stock (14 days out) where I like to buy (NKON). So the decision was easy :slight_smile:

Do you have DDs on the SB?
Do the motor cans go clear if mounted drop through?

No, but speak to @Kellag – he’s using the SB with DD. He has adjustable baseplates however, which gives him some more clearance.

I think even people with thin decks have to route the deck to make room, so I’m afraid not.

2 Likes

Just my assumption that it would be more suitable with a lower Kv motor on a 2wd AT setup. To get the torque needed, but maybe will work with higher amp settings if the motor can take it. If that works that would be great.

Interested in experiences!

1 Like

Great to see your build thread!

Re: BMS- I ordered the Neptune 15 which has a very small footprint and per P group monitoring. I plan on wiring it for charge only and will document my results over on my build thread.

1 Like

I ride elofty 54KV (the lower one) with 6X2 pneumies at 60-65 PSI. On good surfaces, I top out at around 30mph using a 12S2P. 12S4P will be even better.

You’re right though; TB are more reliable and have more power. I just like the feeling of pnuemies and being cheap personally xD

2 Likes

I almost got cold feet about starting my thread after reading yours, so detailed and thought through… But now it is there!

Will be interesting, I read about it will check it out. Would prefer charge/discharge but will probably not be space for it…

there are some more to think about concerning ride safety and brakes etc than I’m used to from ebike. There you always have disc brakes and will not be thrown off if the electronics fail.

I need to try pneumies sometime.

1 Like

Now that is interesting. What I heard so far is that DD are more or less incompatible with pneumatics, be it the 54KV elofty or TB 75KV. However, how is uphill performance with your 6 inch tires and what are the exact tires that you are using? Are you more on the heavy side, say 90 kg (198 pounds) and up, or more a light rider, say below 90 kg?

1 Like

A question:
On the builds I have seen I rarely see any fuseing on the mains from the battery? How are you guys thinking about this, will the ESC burn and stop a major short?