This is not your typical buy new parts and make a shiny spaceship build thread. This is the trash that begs to be trashed again build thread. I call this board “Schrödinger’s Phoenix”. The goal is to learn how to build something that actually moves me and not to worry about it breaking. I hope this may inspire others that it is possible to build a deck on a budget and to just try small, fail small.
That being said, here’s what’s going into it (see image, there is really not much to say about it).
I am thankful for any critique!
Especially if I might be doing something that might be a safety hazard.
Edit: Update from the future
This is what I ended up building:
Final cost breakdown (neglecting shipping costs and tools- real cost is 50-100% more)
- beaten up used Chinese kit - trucks, mounts, motors, pulleys, ESC, remote and some crappy new wheels ($50 local pickup)
- used Evolve enclosure ($25 forum, with other stuff)
- 35A 10S BMS (discharge bypassed) ($20 Amazon)
- Deck ($30 local pickup with other stuff)
- 20 Samsung 25R ($40 forum, bought in lot)
- X-brackets ($4 dickyho)
- connectors, cables, nickel, shrink wrap, solder, hot glue, jbweld, thermal glue, screws, double sided tape, neoprene gasket, riser pads, and wrong parts are not accounted for
-> Total cost: $170 (but really more like $300)
- 8-10 mile real-world range
- 25 mph top speed with the red wheels
Update 2: Bigger wheels
New top speed: 35 mph