First build purchasing help (Canada)!

Hey everyone,

I’m finally getting settled in with my first ever build’s shopping list after a good while of reading this forum and gauging everyone’s trusted vendors. I live in Canada, so my options were somewhat limited with shipping but I’ve found alternatives. With the goal of having the cheapest parts that are also from trusted, reliable vendors, here is my current shopping list:

VESC: MakerX Go-FOC DV6
Motors: Boardnamics 6354 190KV, 2x
Trucks/Motor Mount/Pulleys: Boardnamics 220mm Kit, 14/40t
Wheels: Boa Constrictor 100mm
Deck/Enclosure: Custom (I’ll be making a carbon fiber deck, and 3D print a custom split enclosure)
Battery: 10s4p Molicel P42A, hopefully built by @Flashgod224
Bearings: Zealous Steel
Belts/Wires/other stuff: Aliexpress, mostly.

Let me know if there’s anything glaringly wrong here, or if there are cheaper alternatives that are fairly reliable. It seems largely like you get what you pay for in this hobby, so as long as I’m not over 1500 CAD (~1150 USD) then I should be okay.

5 Likes

Forgot to include the CAD that I was working on to blueprint this build. Here it is:

2 Likes

Battery underneath?

Yep. I still haven’t modeled the enclosure since I need confirmation on the battery, so the model is lacking a little bit.

1 Like

The build looks nicely cohesive.

2 things I would definitely recommend considering if you haven’t already:

1. Your gear ratio seems to be ~2.86 which is pretty high if you want higher speeds, although a good choice if you need the torque for hills or whatever. A lower gear ratio will give you more speed.

2. 12s is a pretty easy jump from 10s especially at only 4p. 12s will make your Wh consumption more efficient and give you a higher top speed. There’s other benefits I’m not mentioning but having rode 10s for over 2 years and now on 12s for 1.5 I can say 12s is definitely worth the investment. Plus your DV6 can handle 12s no problem.

Self-plug: If you wanna save some money I have a set of BN220 hangars I can ship within Canada for cheap. you’d just need mounts and baseplates and bushings. I might also have a set of pulleys. DM me

1 Like

Don’t forget the remote. Mini would be a good fit here.

I was debating between a Flipsky VX1 and a Hoyt Puck - is it worth the extra cash from a reliability standpoint?

Don’t get this no matter what, unless it’s the Pro model.

As for the Puck, it is indeed worth the extra money. Especially with all the customizing options available.

I’m switching mine to this case soon:

3 Likes

Carbon fiber is a signal blocker, careful with putting your remote receiver behind it!

It’s also conductive so you can short electronics on it.

If you are even 30% seriously in to this hobby already, try and go for 12s if you can. Not many 10s boards still around. It’s better to have more speed than you need than to quickly outgrow a board you just built.

Welcome and best of luck :call_me_hand:

4 Likes

Yeah I’ve been (kindly) warned by many of you. I’m planning on putting the receiver on top of the board by routing it and putting it under some grip tape.

All of my enclosure will be padded hopefully so there should be no contact between any live wires and the board.

I’ll definitely ask Flashgod about 12s.

Thanks for the advice!

1 Like

Yup, good advice.

2 Likes

I was advised to go 10s on my second board and deeply regretted it. Sold it last summer because I never rode it.

I still have a 10s pack in my jump board though.

I’d only recommend it for small commuter builds and jump setups at this point.

5 Likes

I’ll second what @tech.shit said about your gear ratio being off for 100mm wheels. At that ratio, the throttle will be jerky at higher speeds bc of excessive torque and it will jist not be comfortable to ride. My rule of thumb in terms of gearing is that your top loaded speed should sit around 50kph for a 10s pack and 60kph for a 12s. That’s plenty of torque for climbing hills and acceleration in my experience and I’m a pretty big guy at 210 lbs without gear. Use the esk8 calculator to figure out what you’ll need in terms of gearing.

Also, this is a handy tool for determining the belt size needed:

3 Likes

Oh and also, I have a set of V1 Boardnamics motor mounts (63mm) that are new, never used. I’ll let them go super cheap as I don’t need them. Hmu if you’re interested.

1 Like

Routing the receiver or antenna outside of the enclosure isn’t too difficult to do, so that should solve that problem (I owned an Eovan GTS Carbon Pro, and they mount the antenna on the rear truck plate to solve this issue).

3 Likes

Yep, seems like OP has been (kindly) warned already.

2 Likes

It’s actually super helpful advice. I took a look and putting the receiver in a small 3d printed box on the rear truck seems like a great idea. Although I do appreciate the (kind) concern from you all :joy:

3 Likes

Attaching it to a deck “x-thing” would be another good way to go.

Like this:

4 Likes