First Build, $1500 limit, suggestions!?

Keep in mind that’s a 730$ battery alone :grin: just a heads up @Esk8t

1 Like

:+1: Thanks!

Yea i figure it’ll be close to a 2k build

1 Like

Might cut it close on that 1500$ price range. If your willing to be flexible go for it !

Yeah cause that’s a 1000$ just in deck enclosure and battery

400 on just motors on a 1500 build that’s a big ask. I have 84’s on my current build so I am a fan. 84 is only 25% more torque but you have to scale up your battery and ESC. You can’t max out a 6354 with a makerx dual.

Do you have a protective gear budget? $300-500 for that atleast.

8 Likes

I can build my own battery and that battery will cost me nearly 600 to make. That’s more like a 2k+ build. It’s all primo stuff. No garbage in your choices.

When did I ever say to spend 400$ on motors :smile: @Movation

1 Like

Sorry you didnt
I have a makerx running dual 6354s with 100 battery amps
I can max out my motors the ESC can’t push enough current. I have tested my new 6384 on this board and I have less power but when I swap out my ESC for my one of my fs 6.6 plus it’s a different story. 100 peak amps vs 200 peak amps. So going larger than 6354 on a vesc that can only push 50amps there is no point. This board will do 30+ miles/hour with makerx and 54s and on a 28" deck that’s fast enough.

1 Like

Yeah honestly @Esk8t I’d look for two Used Focboxes or something similar

1 Like

Dont forget:

• truck baseplates (can get fixed angle or adjustable from boardnamics)
  • riptide bushings + pivot cups (comes with kit if you buy from BN) (also check out Bushing and Truck Set Up, Brad will help you dial it in)
  • wheel pulleys ( again Boardnamics has a 40t, dickyho is a good bet too)
  • motor pulleys (get steel, make sure they fit your motor shafts (probably 8mm keyed)) (dickyho is good)
  • Belts (use this calculator or much easier buy from BN)
  • grip tape (I buy from muirskate)
  • bearings (zealous bearings seem to be a favorite) (muirskate)
  • speed washers (muirskate)
  • riser pads (muirskate)

Instead of the luna switch I’d use a Loopkey, you can probably get your battery builder to add one for you for a bit of $. Way cheaper, dead reliable.

I’d also get a set of various sized metric screws+nuts (M2-M5), blue threadlocker, a skate tool, and some decent hex keys (I like bondhus).

Dont forget these little things! They’re essential and the cost of them adds up. It really sucks to be building your board and realize you overlooked some trivial thing and have to wait for it to ship from china.

6 Likes

Make sure you get Amass brand XT90S connectors, not XT90 or non-Amass brand.

1 Like

Zealous bearings have built in speed washers :wink:

I’ll look into Focbox. But damn, €400 for each one and if I plan on using dual I’ll have to get two? Or do I only need one since the Focbox has 6 output cables (3 for each motor)?

I do suppose I shouldn’t cheap out on an ESC considering I don’t want connection issues. Has anyone had any bad experiences with Makerx?

Cheers!

I think you are thinking of the focbox unity which is a dual esc in one “box”?
The OG focbox only has 3 phase wires, so each focbox for each side of motor

Since you are looking for an esc, why not hold on for a bit and wait for the stormcore?

1 Like

Oh got it! Yeah, I might just wait for the stormcore in that case. Thanks :smiley:

I am SO sorry for JUST seeing this. So much of the parts suggested are the worst source to get them, good parts, but just ridiculous mark up on them.

First of all, let’s talk about that Eboosted Shop’s 12s4p battery pack. Their enclosures are fairly priced since the alternative would be carbon fibre/fibreglass your own enclosure, which would be some extra hassle and you probably don’t want that. But that battery pack, oh man. You do NOT pay 760 bucks for a 48 cell pack that has a charge only bms, when the cells are 4 bucks each. This pack is merely 300 bucks if you DIY, and shouldn’t be much higher than that. 600 bucks max imo. Here’s a good source you could get the same pack for 515 USD(or for people that comes after, since you likely already have finished building your board at this point LOOOL)

The motors from TB are also stupendously marked up. here are the SAME motors (same OEM) but wayyyy cheaper.

Keep in mind that you do NOT buy the new “battle-hardened” version of their motors. They’re considerably worse if you take them apart and compare the build quality, and is a straight-up downgrade IMO.

Flipsky ships real fast if you tell them you want FedEx shipping and add a little extra, takes about 4 days since the day of shipping to get to my spot (Canada) which goes through Memphsis, meaning US destinations should be even faster.

Whilst we’re here at Flipsky, take a look at their Vx1 (do not buy the Vx2, just a pile of hot garbage) and their trucks if you think DKP is good for you. Don’t buy the 15 inch one, if you’re willing to downgrade to 6374, the 12 inch one fits 2 of them exactly which will look really clean. Otherwise if you’re going for 6384 then go for the 13 inch truck. I would also get all the connectors from them too.

For ESC, go for MakerX. Anything else out there is trouble, including shitbox unity that wouldn’t let you configure duty cycle current limit start. Flipsky ESCs are okay, but legit needs water cooling to not thermal throttle after 5 seconds. Stormcore have already sent people into hospitals I believe, and Trampa VESCs I’ve not yet tested because they’re so darn expensive I’ll just probably never get one.

Cags are okay if you run DKP setup; if you run an RKP setup, I suggest TB110 or BB105, if you ride a lot of bike lanes and there’s a lot of gravel everywhere, I suggest Cloudwheel 120s. Keep in mind that the cloudwheels will mean that you can’t carve as hard as other boards, and with the powertrain you got there, will burn the wheels when braking or accelerating hard.

As said previously, good RKP setup would be from Boardnamics, just get their adjustable baseplate drivetrain. It’s a one-stop shop.

Cheers (5 months later)

1 Like

Odd, inaccurate advice on a year old thread.

5 Likes

This is likely the worst advice i have ever heard…chi battery is notoriously negligent in the battery building space, and flipsky is a 50 50 coin flip, might work, might be DOA. Maker X has alot of issues I dont want to go into. Anyhow…yeeeeah

7 Likes