Firesafe board storage container

There was a bad weld on the P-group. I don’t think the fire has to do with the replaced P-group. The battery was correctly charged. I monitored cell voltages on each charge. I believe there was some abrasion problem. Something shorted out.

1 Like

I have 2 of these fire extinguisher balls in my locker, but they are not properly rated to deal with a lithium ion fire.
for that you need a class D extinguisher and they are a small fortune, EDIT - CLASS D EXTINGUISHERS ARE NOT RIGHT FOR LITHIUM ION BATTERIES

nonetheless I did not think they would hurt and they are not super expensive.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JVXFQ6E/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

Are you suggesting over-charging from regenerative braking? IMO the charge current was negligible, if any at all. I don’t believe that’s what caused it. The battery wasn’t even fully charged.

2 Likes

No real idea, just trying to figure out how fire started in the first place. Just the idea that it can come out of nowhere has me a bit freaked out.

4 Likes

Oh no… So sad to read that @janpom :pensive:
This is quite a difficult question but it raises it once again our attention of a safe storage.

1 Like

@janpom how did you have the battery affixed in the enclosure? If you were dragging it and the battery sits loose it could have bumped up against something else in the enclosure until it wore through the shrink wrap or kapton somewhere

There’s a pickup line waiting to happen. “Want to see my exploding fire extinguisher balls?”

4 Likes

My plan is more to auto-buried the board in case of fire, using enough sand bags attached to the lid (inside of course). Just have to store/charge the board with enclosure on top.

Box should have wheels and big handles to quickly put it outside

1 Like

I don’t believe the battery could have moved inside the enclosure. When servicing the board, I would regularly put the enclosure upside down to mount it to the board and the battery wouldn’t fall out of the enclosure.

1 Like

I know these seem like great options, but I am 90% sure it only works on external oxidization type conclusions (fuel type fires) but since a li-ion cell will combust internally I don’t think it will actually do anything…there might be less actual flames but the cells will still vent ALL their energy as heat

2 Likes

If found these vids where folks build battery boxes out of drywall, which is supposed to be able to contain the lithium battery fire. I imagine a metal box padded with drywall could work pretty well. With some holes in the top part such that pressure can be released. Would probably still make a lot of mess but better than nothing.

5 Likes

In the picture it is quite hard to see… but what did you use to insulate Groups from each other ?
Could it be possible that one Groups welded nickel stripes got lose and went to one of the other groups where there was no “hotglue” ?

I use this when I work on batteries.

I intend to wrap my boards w this when I put them in storage

2 Likes

Extover seems to be the correct suppressant to use but I tried and failed to get some shipped to the US.

1 Like

You can charge li ions to almost 7 8 volts without any fire i charged just for curiosity one 30q to 5.5v and nothing happened

3 Likes

Sorry to hear your battery went up in flames…
I have seen a thread for quite some time with this subject
Pretty sure any metal box will be safe enough to store it, and you could even wire up a smoke sensor next to it if you want to be extra safe

1 Like

Yep I was thinking this too but weight would be the only issue. The bags they come in are just paper so they’d release easily. Dirt cheap safety measure aside from large metal box. Maybe the metal drums if you find them for cheap / free.

2 Likes

So just stacked shelves with paper bags of sand hanging from the shelf above? A board lights up and the sand is dumped when it catches fire?

2 Likes

Sorry for an off-topic. On a positive note, turns out DAVEGA X stands up to fire much better than SR trucks (not to mention the TB 100 wheels that totally failed the test). I’m thinking of putting “partially fireproof” in the DAVEGA booklet. :slight_smile:

18 Likes

Did anything else survive? Can we see the effects of melted parts?

2 Likes