Firesafe board storage container

It’s a pretty old build. I haven’t built the battery, though I have done some maintenance on it. Anyway, I made hundreds of km on the battery since I last messed up with it.

This is the only pic of it that I have. It’s after I have replaced a bad P- group.

2 Likes

That’s terrible, I’m so sorry man.

5 Likes

dude.
that is horrifying.
was your board on?
you were not actually riding, it, just carrying it?

1 Like

That’s a nightmare :flushed: sorry bro!
At least it happened outside, damn man…

Unfortunately not. The electronics turned to ashes. I might have saved my elofty. The Unity Metr looks like it might have survived (unlike the Unity itself). :slight_smile: I haven’t tried to power it on yet though. Will report back when I do. You guys could then advertise it as fireproof. :smile:

5 Likes

after I build my first battery my paranoia went through the roof.
so I moved my boards from their convenient location in the guest room to a room in the basement inside a metal cabinet.
it is not actually rated to be fire proof, but it is all metal and fully enclosed.

in there I have a wifi connected fire alarm, and two fire extinguisher balls.

i think that if a fire starts in there nothing is going to stop it. I just want to be able to get the kids and wife out of the house…

as an added precaution I charge my boards in a separate location, in a sub garage I have that is all concrete walls. I also have a fire alarm in there and a camera so I can see what is going on.

I actually got two fifty gallon metal drums to put the boards in, but have not implemented that yet.

10 Likes

This is crazy man. Good thing you are ok. So sorry to hear about your board :pray: Hopefully the community comes up With a good idea :grimacing:

1 Like

Solution. :point_up_2:

@janpom that really fucking sucks about your board man. Definitely giving my DIY batteries the side eye now. Hope you can bounce back and get riding in no time :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

source : https://www.mon-abri-de-jardin.com/coffre-de-jardin/3445-coffre-de-rangement-en-metal-anthracite-650l-avec-plancher-x-metal.html (It is a metal storage box for garden stuffs, sorry for it being in french)

Tought of it many times for when I’ll have an house and my plan is to add a fire alarm and some big bags of sand on the lid of the box. The sand would fall on the starting fire.

Really sorry for your loss, dude :frowning:

6 Likes

Perhaps a full size locker? Maybe outside? Something to keep the weather out but be a good place for it to be if the cells vent. Probably not the best idea in a cold/hot area or where it rains a ton.

1 Like

Oh no man I’m so sorry for your loss. I wonder if putting a layer of sand in the metal box would help quench any reactions on a bottom mount.

Doesn’t sound ideal to put your board in sand to charge though :thinking:

Oops @Slak was already on the same page

the sand trap idea is pretty clever dude.

3 Likes

Any idea why the P-group went bad in the first place? In my experience that must mean there was another issue that was causing the P group to go bad.

Unless the cells where previously used, that kind of stuff shouldn’t be happening.

1 Like

Did you trolley it with the drivetrain on the ground and full charged battery?

1 Like

There was a bad weld on the P-group. I don’t think the fire has to do with the replaced P-group. The battery was correctly charged. I monitored cell voltages on each charge. I believe there was some abrasion problem. Something shorted out.

1 Like

I have 2 of these fire extinguisher balls in my locker, but they are not properly rated to deal with a lithium ion fire.
for that you need a class D extinguisher and they are a small fortune, EDIT - CLASS D EXTINGUISHERS ARE NOT RIGHT FOR LITHIUM ION BATTERIES

nonetheless I did not think they would hurt and they are not super expensive.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JVXFQ6E/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

Are you suggesting over-charging from regenerative braking? IMO the charge current was negligible, if any at all. I don’t believe that’s what caused it. The battery wasn’t even fully charged.

2 Likes

No real idea, just trying to figure out how fire started in the first place. Just the idea that it can come out of nowhere has me a bit freaked out.

4 Likes

Oh no… So sad to read that @janpom :pensive:
This is quite a difficult question but it raises it once again our attention of a safe storage.

1 Like

@janpom how did you have the battery affixed in the enclosure? If you were dragging it and the battery sits loose it could have bumped up against something else in the enclosure until it wore through the shrink wrap or kapton somewhere