Fiberglass Repair and Bonding

and wear gloves too. While resin is not that toxic, compared to the toluene found in things like ShoeGoo and all, there is potential to become quite sensitized to it after a while. Now, I tend to feel a light tickle in the back of my throat whenever I smell polyester resin, and it turns into a sore throat/runny nose combo the next day…
Also, because I sometimes had a bit of spillover resin on my hands, I used to wash that generously with acetone, but it’s actually not a good idea, as this allows the thinned resin to penetrate under the skin, and that makes it more toxic. Vinegar works well apparently.

There are some much nicer resins now, with very low VOC, even stuff made from flax seeds, less nasty than what I was using in my windsurfing youth…

2 Likes

Yup. White vinegar works well :+1:

3 Likes

Necro revival!

Im looking at doing some layers to the underside of my deck and while it doesnt have to be mint, it does have to be strong. Ive got the CF layer that I want to finish on and have been looking at a glass layer and found this.

I have no idea what im looking at so thought I’d ask the question of those that do…

Slainte

1 Like
1 Like

Was more asking about the material amd specs, sorry if that was unclear…

• Ultimate Impact Protection - Ultimate impact & tensile protection due to its ability to absorb load
  • Ultimate Impact Performance - 10% increased flexural performance compared to traditional S-Glass.
  • Carbon + Aramid - Higher tensile strength than commercial grade carbon & aramid.
  • High Clarity - Ultra high clear finish produces ultra white surfboards and also perfect for resin pigment colour laminates.
  • Superior Tensile Strength - Enhanced mechanical properties for superior tensile strength.
  • Strength to Weight - Up to 50% increased tensile strength compared to industry standard E-Glass.
  • Increased Compressive Strength - Up to 90% increased compressive strength compared to industry standard E-Glass
  • Up to two times the tensile strength of an E-Glass in a UD Laminate.
  • Up to 10% Increased Flexural Strength compared to Industry Standard S-Glass.
  • Up to 15% Increased Tensile Strength compared to Industry Standard S-Glass.
  • Up to 50% Increased Tensile Strength compared to Industry Standard E-Glass in Fibre to Fibre Comparison.
  • Higher Tensile Strength then Commercial Grade Carbon, Aramid, E-Glass and Industry Standard S-Glass.

Had some interesting statrments in there and i didnt know if it was all marketing or an actual thing

Sounds like marketing to me.
Even if it is 10% better, I’d suggest you will struggle to notice that small difference. Method and application technique is likely to have more of an impact (fabric to resin ratio etc.)
I have used UD CF from aliexpress when I skinned a deck for LDP and it worked really well. 2 layers 200gsm each side in a vac bag. Peel ply and a bleeder fabric each side.

1 Like