F-Of-C - open-source Free-Of-Charge vesc6 board in development. Schematics available

1 Like

I don’t follow. What are we talking about?

1 Like

Shunt resistors are located between low side mosfets and ground. No phase shunts for this hardware - don’t want to end up in another supply shortage.

Yes, but you responded to my post, and I’m not quite sure what you were responding to.

@jens_overby Hello, we are waiting for news and instructions :wink:

1 Like

I’m struggling a bit with the canbus here. This is my setup:

Two fockings both connected to a single battery. Connected to Vesc ID 54 is a PPM receiver. Vesc54 is then connected via rx/tx (two-wire) can cable to Vesc91 (slave). Vesc Tool is connected to Vesc54 through USB-C.

I can spin up the individual motors via the Vesc Tool, by selecting Vesc54 (local) and Vesc91 (can slave) individually.

I can also configure Vesc54 to run by the PPM remote, but something must be going wrong with CAN forwarding, because I can get both motors to spin from the single PPM remote input. I really thought this was an easy thing to get working, but ?

This is the setup of the Master (Vesc54):

PPM App setup of the Master:

And this is the seup of the Slave (Vesc91):

Does anyone have a clue? Do I need to setup anything else to be able to spin the two motors connected to each of these vescs, respectively?

Everything else is just working perfectly. When I compare the noise level performance with a 75/60 Original Vesc, I really can’t tell the difference. Noise levels with a 4 layer pcb are at a supreme low level, compared to earlier when the pcb design just had 2 layers.

But if anyone has a clue about what’s going wrong with CAN, I would much appreciate some input.

And why I can’t edit my posts in here, I don’t know, but it’s really annoying. I made a small type in the above message. Obviously:

“I can’t get both motors to spin from the single PPM remote input”

I used to connect them by CAN, but don’t currently. Not sure if this helps, but these are my notes from that time…

• Make sure both VESC’s are running the same firmware version.
  • VESC’s MUST come up simultaneously (i.e. power must be wired together) if you want to use the canbus connection.
  • DO NOT use the +5V and Gnd wires on the canbus.
  • Uniquely ID each controller (“ESC ID”). Assign ID 0 to the master and 1 to the slave (under “App Settings/General”).
  • Make sure the slave VESC has “send status over can” option checked (there’s a wizard for it in the VESC tool)
    It looks like this is “CAN Status Message Mode” under App/General.
  • Under the PPM/General tab: set to TRUE “Multiple VESC’s over CAN” (I think this is only to control a slave VESC; not to read its data)
  • Traction control is optional

1 Like

You are only a “basic” user. Need to post in some other topics to become a “member” which gives you most rights on the forum. This is all automatic btw.

1 Like

I just setup 2 controllers over canbus with a servo tester (PPM input) and it works fine. Here are the screens.

VESC 60 is setup with the PPM input
VESC 410 is the slave.

All I did -

Make sure both are on the same firmware version (6.02 in this case)
Run the motor wizard, saying yes to reset defaults and detect both over canbus.
Run the input wizard on the VESC 6 and select PPM
Both motors spin fine.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for the feedback on the CAN issue.

Though, it turned out to be an error that was accidentally introduced in my pcb design. A short circuit between CANH and +5V. GitHub - nordstream3/FOC is now updated with a fix to this issue.

Also I have tested the UART port with a NRF 51822 from Ali, and it works just absolutely perfect, and I can finally use the Vesc Tool on my Android phone.

Although my attempt mount a 3-pin [5V, GND, 3V] connector was successful, it was not particularly aesthetic, as you can see on the image above.

I need to update the pcb to make proper room for both CAN and a 3-pin power connector.

5 Likes

Now there should be room enough for the pin headers.

I have decided to use JST 254 for following headers:
SRV(ppm) [servo, 5V, GND, 3V]
Communication [TX, MISO, SCK, RX, ADC8, ADC9, ADC15]
POWER [5V, GND, 3V]
CAN [CANH, CANL]

And then use JST 200 for:
HALL [VDD, motor_temp, H1, H2, H3, GND] (most female hall are jst 200)
AUX [12V, GND, GND (on/off)]

Everything on github

3 Likes

I anyone is eager to make a STL file for a cool cover, feel free to do so. Something that the main module pcb can “slide” into, or deformable “taps” to hold it in place… (?)

Dimensions of main module: 78.55 mm x 64.65 mm

Bottom plate (of main module dims) of aluminum.

Height from bottom of pcb to top of “big” capacitors is 14 mm

1 Like

JST height is 7mm
pcb width is 1.7 mm

1 Like

And ready for the unwashed masses???

2 Likes

Capacitors could could “stick out” of the cover.

Actually, you were to fast… Github is up to date right NOW

1 Like

In principle, it’s ready, but when you move stuff there’s always the risk of making an error.
Tomorrow, I’m going to make a jlcpcb order on a batch of 10. You would play it safe if waiting till I receive those pcbs.

3 Likes