f...ing voltage sag

What is the deal with voltage sag? My backfire zealot, which i just got back from the company, saying they balanced the cells, which is just charging it by my knowledge? Anyway, I’m guessing some of the batteries in it are toast and this means while I’m riding it the f…ing thing just puts the brakes on? I’m going well over 20mph and this has happened many times, recently guess the batteries life cycle is done, I do have a shit load of miles on it, but it can’t just stop mid ride, right? . Do I have to except when any battery is getting out of wack/cells going bad a bit this happens? I’m in the process of building my own, getting a BT bms to hopefully be able to see this before I end up in the hospital. I love riding these things but Jesus if I am going to end up bloody with broken bones it needs to be my mistake when riding! Maybe it’s the BMS or ESC in the zealot. I decided to go with a stormcore and LLT BMS on my build to hopefully help in not having to risk my life with a board that put’s on the brakes, hard!, when I’m riding! Shouldn’t the thing at least let me roll still when this happens! Pissed and bloody!! LOL

1 Like

It is likely coasting, and you think that is brakes. Seems like it when it happens though.

NO store bought boards except the boutique ones, have adequate batteries. Good you are building your own.

I highly doubt that board or any board has an esc that puts on the brakes when low on battery. voltage sag or an imbalanced battery wouldnt be responsible.
when it brakes and throws you what’s needed to make it go again?

2 Likes

I think its more likely the remote or the esc. The esc can break when broken, sure. Low battery doesnt matter in this case

1 Like

It has to be plugged in then it lasts for another mile or so until it throughs me.

1 Like

thanks, Also when it throughs me, the remote says it isn’t connected anymore and the board won’t turn on until as I just mentioned to the other guy, I plug it in for one second and then the battery shows full charge still and it will run for another mile or so until the voltage sag happens which I guess maybe it does still roll but one time I wasn’t going 25 mph, more like 16 up a slight hill and it sagged an threw me off, even going that slow it still totally felt like the board just put on the brakes? I can run 16mph but the 25 mph, not running more like rolling in best case scenario, with a lap top in the backpack and a newly cracked screen! Maybe it is the remote or esc, wish I knew how to diagnose the issue! Another thing, when I check the batteries positive and negative it says it’s pulling 50 V, that means the battery is ok right? it’s a 12s 2P 21700, no idea on which cells they use at backfire. I easily have over 2000 miles on this board, It’s my car!

1 Like

Check your balance connector with a multimeter

1 Like

Does it really break then or does it just feels like some kind of breaking bc acceleration stops?
Maybe just your Battery is broken or bms and after hitting the throttle it cuts off.
Maybe Baxkfire programmed a “safety break” after cut off or something, i expierienced myself shit like this on my Onans back in the days. Them drives hit full breakes fe when remote connectionis lost.

The hobbywings escs all actively brake when loosing connection to the remote or when the remote is off.

Those escs usually give you artificial voltage sag and vibrate the remote on low voltage. I do believe they will shut off if the voltage is past a threshold but i never managed to do it since the sag didn’t allow anything extreme at that point.

1 Like

This is new to me bc we have some HW esc builds/swaps in the streets and on no board the breakes appear when losing remote connection, but i will have a second closer look at this tonight

It’s a slow brake when the remote loses connection no? I don’t think it would throw someone off

Yep, but even letting go of the throttle could be enough to throw someone off when they aren’t expecting it and braced for it.

1 Like

except revel back in the days, and probably the newer one nowadays too

You were right on the HW esc breaking whilst losing remote connection.
We tried out yesterday :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s scary. Braking leads to breaking ur collar

1 Like

Thanks for info guys. maybe I’ll buy a new esc and remote from backfire while I do my diy build so I can get around. Another question, let’s say it’s not the remote or esc, would the battery going out of balance or a faulty bms be able to throw on the brakes? no, right? it would either loose braking if discharge is active in bms, or go up in a ball of flames? Guess i should research the bms on the backfire zealot! A ball of flames or loosing brakes would be much safer than brakes abruptly stopping board while riding!! To respond to others on here the board definitely brakes when loosing connection, I’ve been riding in fear of it happening again for the last 3 times I used it and it happened every f…ing time! , I’m a solid rider and even if the throttle going out allowed any coasting I would be able to ride it out without it totally throwing me off! On my own DIY there would be no way brakes could get thrown on with a 12S4P 21700 Molicel, stormcore 60D, LLT smart bms and VX1 remote if any of them where to go faulty while riding? Am I correct in stating that?

There’s a setting for brake current if the remote disconnects. If it loses signal for a user adjustable period of time it can apply brakes, or you can have it do nothing. I will say that powertrain drag could feel like braking depending on setup - mine will actively slow down on mild declines at coast.

found out it’s the esc that puts the brake on, it’s a hobbywing think I guess, going to change it out.

1 Like

Yes, what i said 4 days ago

2 Likes

I heard ya just thought it was the remote that looses then connection first and not the esc sending the signal to make the remote lose connection. I’m going to change the esc to something compatible, any ideas, backfire says i shouldn’t do this but just need an esc computable with their 12s2p 21700 right? Plenty out there but don’t want to spend 300 like I did for my own build ESC. the builds going to take a minute, piecing it together as I get money, but need something to ride in the meantime that won’t kill me unless it’s my mistake, that’s the idea behind changing out the backfire esc and probably remote also. Any remotes have stronger BT signals in them. Thanks for commenting and answering man, sorry I was still checking on the ESC thing.