Evolve motors with Stormcore, no torque

P42?

Detection of motors looks fine, they’re pretty close to eachother in detection values. So nothing wrong with motors.

Regarding your motor current, its set to 31.25A, also commonly called phase amps.
You can bump this value up quite abit, phase amps does not equal battery amps.
Same goes for your max motor brake current. If you double both of them you should feel a substatial change in agressive torque.

Battery amps are bit different. If you’re using P42 cells your theoretical batt max is 45x4=180A. (given that the cells stay relativly cool during draw)

Divide that by each vesc it equals to 90. Your battery max is set to 60A/-15A per side atm.
I’d say 60A per side is pushing it abit but unless you plan to tow or go fullspeed up a really steep hill I dont see you ever pulling that much current. I’d set it to 50A/side, depends on how long you want your pack to last. The nicer you are to it, the longer it will perform. I’d increase the Max regen abit tho. 15A/side feels low. experiment with your brakes abit and decide for yourself.

start by bumping up that motor max and comeback with results, like someone else said you can also play with ramptime in app settings, that will give you more or less agressive throttle depending on how you adjust it

4 Likes

Hows your BMS situation? Is current bypass, balance only?

1 Like

This is very helpful, thanks. Cells are P42. There are many hills around my area. Don’t have the need for speed so 140kv and somewhere around 45-50 kmph loaded top speed is a sweet spot for me.

I had arrived at 60A battery max via this logic:

• 45A max per cell backed off to 30A (I read mooch reckons 25A is good for these cells)

• 30A * 4 cells / 2 VESCs = 60A

I’ll drop battery max to 50A and bump the motor max and report back. I had figured the detection would find the max settings, but I guess that’s max continuous right? So 60A motor max bursts should be fine? I think these motors are rated at 34A on paper from what I can gather.

As for brakes, I keep locking them up, so figured they were too strong. However I haven’t yet tried a top speed stop, so perhaps it’s a brake curve thing? I’ll set the regen max lower, say -20A and test.

BMS wise, for better or worse I decided to go with external, using a 14 pin G20 connector.

1 Like

you can draw the specced 45A, but it all comes down to temperature. Generally our cells are wrapped in plastic with glue inside a nonventilated shell. so not optimal thermal conditions… but seem like you got the right idea.

You can turn up the phase amps even more if you like (max motor amp). The vesc will never put more strain on the battery than what the battery max allows(excluding some peak behaviours). Sure the FETs need to survive too but the current draw is very spikey in Esk8, big draw from standstill and then it kind of flattens out. You’d think going full speed would pull the most current but sustainng the motors at a certain RPM after working its way up there actually consumes less current than the stand still to rapid acceleration.

If you have some hills you might able to milk som juice out of it tho. I would be bit conservative in bigger hills especially round lower end of the battery. if the vesc decides your Vdrop =empty batt you’re in for a hell of a acceleration drop.

1 Like

I meant more how your BMS was wired, either you have over current protection via BMS(current goes thru it) or you bypass the BMS and its only used for balancing while charging. leaving the VESC in charge for cut offs

not quite sure how it determines max values, sometimes its spot on sometimes its too conservative

1 Like

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD the thing is now trying to end my life again, much more power than with Evolve electronics. It would seem doubling motor max did the trick.

Brakes are even more grabby than before, maybe I don’t need -20A regen?

8 Likes

Well, I suppose the Flipsky 6354 motors I had just ordered can sit on the shelf for a while. Thought my motors were toast. You live you learn :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Glad it worked out :slight_smile:

Try play with ramping abit in the app settings, you can make the break less aggressive. but 15-20A break amps should be a good range imo

1 Like

I usually put something like this:

I prefer moving the throttle rather then having huge acceleration/break from nudging it. Its abit of a bitch move but I like safety :slight_smile:

Try make sure you dont get slipping on your belts, more torque = more force and wear on your belts.
the higher you got the wider your belts need to be to handle it. If your belts survive fullspeed->hard break without skipping you’re in a good spot.

2 Likes

By external I meant it doesn’t have a BMS. Using a hobby charger and plugging in balance cable at home only.

3 Likes

ah, external makes perfect sense then :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Nice one thanks. This one was kicking my ass after the settings bump.

haha yeah, thats expected… bit steep :grimacing:

1 Like

yaaa
i have mine set at 12% pos and 12% neg

1 Like

Thanks, this is some helpful info.

This is the funniest thing I’ve read all day. Welcome to the VESC world. These things are awesome when tuned right. I was amazed today riding at top speed, hitting a really long hill, and not slowing down at all. Just watching all the amps increase.

7 Likes

Very nice tech. So quiet too. So the downside is now I need to skate with a cow bell hanging around my neck. With Evolve BLDC people could hear you coming from half a mile away.

1 Like

VESC chooses FOC if you dont specify anything else. Thats why its quiet. Switch to BLDC and you will be noticed.

1 Like