Evolve carbon Gen2 issue

hey people.
I have recently obtained a carbon gen2 and it seems to cutout under load and flash some red lights.
I have checked the battery and it seems fine, the motor works slowly, and the remote while janky seems to connect and operate. so im pointing the finger at the ESC
I’m pretty in tune with DIY stuff but I have never worked on the evolve gear before. is there any one who has seen this issue before or should I just chuck a VESC in it and get on with life?

3 Likes

Edit: I suppose it could also be a BMS issue…?

The lipos will sag at the end of their life and cut like this under load.

They will appear to charge just fine and balance out, but anemic cells will drop voltage like it’s hot.

There is a option on the remote to monitor individual p groups. Check those values for outliers if you can while riding.

Do a 18650 swap. Eventually, just gut it and put in a unity.

3 Likes

As what was said above. And you should be able to see the charge cycles as well to know if the battery is on its last leg.
I was over 500 cycles on my Gtx when it would just cut out.

If you run it in ECO mode it won’t cut out but you also will want to toss it in the bin because it’s so fucking slow

4 Likes

Remember that first time trying a good board after having an evolve, life changing.

7 Likes

It has good bones. Don’t throw it in the ocean yet. I know this is a controversial opinion.

7 Likes

lol we’re back to the damn carbon deck

2 Likes

If you can find one of those custom Evolve dual FOCBOX heatsinks and someone makes a FOCBOX clone, your life will be good.

Those cells still sag like a beast though

2 Likes

I have several VESC laying around so its an option, also its only a gen2 so no fancy remote with screens and diagnostics. I’m fairly sure the batteries are new. at least that’s what I was told buy the guy who gave it to me… he said he put new batteries in it and it didn’t fix the problem, so here have it.

@Kellag this is actually my first evolve after a swag of awesome boards. Im an Esk8 veteran.

4 Likes

So i have a carbon i it does the same thing. the battery had only 20 charges when i bought it but the board was bought in 2017 (i bought it may this year) and hadn’t been used in 2 years and so i think @Arzamenable is right about the cells. There are just crap in general anyway.
if you like the remote and such and already have other builds then just change the battery and keep the esc.

1 Like

Do you have any other battery you could jerry rig on the deck to see if it solves the issue?
(welcome back @LowGuido , there’s a name I’ve not heard in a while!)

2 Likes

But I like that deck. :frowning:

2 Likes

I love your deck zacky

1 Like

I was going to say, “ haven’t you been doing this shit longer than I have?” I went check Eskate.bumblers.com but it is down. I guess your a new guy now :wink::call_me_hand:

1 Like

He’s an old man

2 Likes

yeah its like when you go to high school for the first day going from being top of the schoot to being a bum.

1 Like

The neoBOX is now on the scene and is exactly this