Everything that makes your ride safe

Fox with D30 is awesome !!!

Hey kids.

I’m looking for new knee pads.

I’m currently sporting TSG Down Hill Pro.

I really like them.
Especially the way they go on with the open back.

But the are just so bulky…

Really want something really similar to the TSG DHP but lower profile.

3 Likes

I am torn between two knee protectors.

Leatt Z Frame - A knee brace knee protector

Leatt Dual Axis - A kneepad that articulates and moves but does not have brace protections and may overall be less padded.

With what I am building I think a brace may be a good option. Typical riding conditions are aggressive acceleration and speed on pavement and some off road. The only thing is I end up climbing trees throughout daytime rides putting up lots of birdhouses, and I am not sure how much a brace might impact that.

1 Like

Love that the safety gear you will wear is weighed against ability to hang birdhouses while wearing it.

Need a video of these ride lmfao

Ha, to be honest I’m considering braces and then daytime birdhouse stuff ill just ride much slower, I do have those construction working pants that have Foam knee inserts so I should be okay going slow, but zipping around putting them houses up is way more fun.

This spring I’ll start posting some ride videos of it, but for now I have been stuck endlessly welding, drilling and building two boards.

1 Like

I have both here and use the Leatt Dual Axis on my E-Bike.
The Leatt Z Frame are way to big, do not have much passing and only suitable for Motocross.

Will not use both of them on eSk8.

These Sector 9 Dash gloves are inexpensive and comfortable. If I rotate one of the pucks 90 degrees I can still get a good grip on a VX2 or a Chubby remote.

I really wish I had these last year when I went down hard and broke my arm.

4 Likes

Anyone else seen the new tsg mountainbike helmet?

8 Likes

I also have 60cm head. If you could go back, would u still get the tsg pro? Any other helmet/size u have found?

I have changed to a Fox proframe size L, as I ride 90% off-road now.
Brilliant helmet as it comes with changeable parts that you can tailor to suit your head. I wear glasses and the Pass wasn’t so handy for this. Effectively my glasses are now my visor.

1 Like

Thanks. If u weren’t in the uk I’d ask if u wanted to sell the tsg. Oh well thx for the info!

1 Like

Already sold it to the USA!
Great helmets still, awesome field of vision.

What’s the consensus on body armor?
A good idea, yes but which one to get?
Wear it under a shirt or on top?

I have a padded motorcycle jacket which already saved my shoulder two years ago but I was thinking of maybe getting something that protects my front and back, too.
They make them with and without sleeves, which ones are your favorites?

I don’t think there is a consensus. I’m a bit older and I have a family to think about so I’m always fully armoured. I prefer stuff that I can wear under my clothes so that (a) I look less of a dick, and (2) I can change my look.

I can put a good word in for the Leatt Airfit Hybrid, which has allowed me to walk away from a couple of nasty tumbles.

1 Like

So I totally support being as safe as possible if that’s everyone’s jam. Personally I’m waiting for my first eskate to ship (ownboard Zeus) and was planning to get a regular skate helmet, lazy roller hoodie, and maybe some gloves. I am a long time longboarder and only ever had one or two bad falls, (I was a stupid college kid at the time not even wearing a helmet which I would never do now) but I walked away with bruises and some road rash. I know I’ll be going at much higher speeds and I am obviously planning to wear the above mentioned equipment. However, everyone mentioning full face, body armor and moto jackets etc, and everyone talking about nearly dying… i’m just trying to figure out if this is a biased thread/comments. Does anyone NOT have a major crash in eskate? Some topics on this forum make it seem like this is the most dangerous hobby in the universe. Again there’s absolutely nothing wrong with being as safe as possible but I don’t want to fork out 1000 bucks on all this equipment if I will probably be OK with a regular helmet gloves and padded hoodie. There’s probably plenty of you that would say you started the same way and had a rude awakening, but are there a bunch of people that have done this for a long time and do fine with what I mentioned??

There are as many personal responses and opinions on safety as there are riding styles. Everyone is comfortable with a different level of risk. If you’re the type to cruise along mellow and happy at 15mph, then a helmet and gloves will likely protect you from anything you can’t run out.

However, if you’re young or thrill seeking or can see yourself pushing your limits ever (aka that little voice in the back of your head that says this might be really dumb just before you punch it), you need to dress for the crash. If you like your knees and elbows in one piece, consider getting pads. If you’re going to hit 20-30 mph you’re not going to run (or ninja roll) that out - if you like your skin, considered armored jacket and pants.

This is the exact same discussion over on every motorcycle forum. The new guys who really would rather not have to plunk a bunch more money down on safety gear, the guys who’ve taken a hit or two and bought more gear, and the people who’ve stopped riding bc the risk is too high (family life, injuries, or worse).

You have to make your own judgement call. This sport is not as dangerous as a motorcycle, but it’s high risk enough to cause serious injury and kill riders. I don’t believe anyone rides for more than a few years at most without a crash of some level, but you don’t have to drop $1k for good enough gear. A couple hundred should get you decent mountain bike / moto / skate gear.

6 Likes

Thank you! I actually sold my motorcycle when I had my first kid a few years ago and then some time on this forum started to make me think I upgraded my danger level to eskate haha

What you’ve got to remember is that it’s not just down to rider skill. Electronics failure can also add to an already risky situation.

6 Likes