Evaluations of budget components

Which dickyho kit do you have? I had the TKP off road a while back, but I’m looking into the channel truck now

Bought separately his 11inch paris clones upgraded with riptide bushings axel extended to take evolve press fit pulleys as well, 2 latest gen DH mounts with custom crossbracing made with 3x threaded M4 rod with anodised blue stainless steel drinking straw and m4 rounded end nuts. Wheels are the same DH yumcha 6x2 innertube AT wheels, non standard bearing, unballanced. Mine has 3D printed nylon pulleys. Bearing are rubbish still looking for a decent replacements.

1 Like

So you bought this first one? It’s sister kit was what inspired me to get my current HeXL and Berg setup

The second one is what I’m looking at, do you know anything about it’s quality?

The dicky one over that other garbage. A mate bought a board off wish with that sudo AT kit the motor mounts were made of metal plate like the second one, they would vibrate and flex and belt slippage was common i reinforced it with cross bracing but after 4 month of riding the threads on the mounts gave way. That and the craptastic chinese cell battery and yumcha esc both of which started having issues . he scores a cheap AT evolve GT with a dead battery. I rebuilt the pack with 30Q. The Dicky kit uses the 6" airless these are better balanced. they still have shitty bearings but thats the only neg. Yep my Dicky set I put together before he was selling the kits. The evolve set last part landed this week. Both are good but bearings and trucks are what made me swap.

1 Like

Which riptide bushings did you get? I have the Airless AT kit but planning on changing the bushings for the truck and bearing for the wheels.

That’s kinda what I was fearing…the motor mounts are pressed sheet steel right? What about the DIYEboard version? It has much beefier clamp style mounts

http://www.diyeboard.com/11-offroad-allterrian-truck-kit-with-8-pneumatic-tires-p-709.html

My local skate shop fitted them for me i believe its a riptide barell 92 and roadside is bones dual hard not sure of durametre i am crap at tunning my trucks. Cost was about $40 ($30USD)

I should probably bring mine to my local skate shop. Probably will cost about the same looking at their prices.

I have dickyho Paris mount kit, solid budget mount pulleys belts etc, after drilling a dimple into the truck for the set screws, no complaints. Before, they turned and I drug a motor on the ground no matter how tight I set the screws, without the drilled hole, they turned. Nothing to do with is product though, Paris trucks problem.

I’m glad this came about, I was eyeing that imitation all terrain kit, now I know it’s not good I’ll look elsewhere. I have looked at the dickyho airless kit but wanted to try a set with the spring style mounts.

1 Like

Same here man, I’m looking to make a light duty channel truck eMTB for under $1000 with all parts shipped…this would have been the easy way out

Is it just the motor mounts that suck or the rest of the kit too? The DIYE clamps look legit but they are another $80ish

Electricboardsolutions does the MBS Matrix II for $360 plus shipping

1 Like

The esk8 ones are a 10mm axel not the standard 8mm so forget about skate bearing or street wheels but way better that the other ones, I would still go dicky as you could go street wheels and the trucks are very nice for a budget truck and with new bushings above average. Also his mounts are rock solid and allow you to use idlers great fot AT as it reduces belt slipping. There has been a few reports of esk8 trucks snapping

But his mounts are only for the TKP ATS12 clones and RKP Paris clones

Yep mbs is the way to go for true AT a few guys here make the mounts but not for $35. Chinese MBS style use softer steel likely wont last if you use them offroad. Get those trampa clone wheels from ali they are awesome

What is the first point of failure with the cheap channel trucks besides the mounts? If I can CNC custom motor mounts but use the rest of the dickyho one (because $175 shipped is a steal) will I get good use? Mostly gonna do trail hills, no jumps (doesn’t matter anyway, I’m only 130lbs with gear)

Its the corners they cut i got my 63mm evolve mounts from china they came with crappy bolts i cross threaded the first bolt I tried to put on. A quick trip my local fastener store and $3 I had 10 x M5 stainless bolts and nuts and locking washers. Threads are a big issue spring sag in the clones is bad. My mate is over 220+ pounds so may be part of why his cheap mountain board failed so badly. Stay away from diy if possible look at aliexpress.com and dhgate.com atleast these is some warranty there. I bought airless AT wheels from there the worst rubbish wheels ever. Did not reply to any emails about my issues,

So the dickyho channel kit motor mount threads on the hangar will pull out first?

No was refering to diy one. only issue with dicky is 8mm axel not great for off road this will be your Achilles heal.

1 Like

This has a 10mm shaft (the dickyho one)

The pulleys work much better with a flanged bearing (F608) pressed in instead of the 11mm ones. Basically a 3 bearing sandwich kinda like a 3d servisas pulley.
Not sure why @BuildKitBoards doesn’t sell them like that to begin with :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Honestly you can piece together pretty easily. Flipsky has sales often allowing you to pick up 4.2 vescs for under $60 ea and 6354 motors for the same. There are several budget bracket options. Battery can be had for great prices from @M.Hboards.
I chose to try out 6355 motors and glad I did. At 10S and 190kv they still leave a lot to be desired from a 2p battery. If they were 5055 270kv I’d be just disappointed

I have abec and kegel pulleys from dicky and have no issues (running the abecs currently). The pins are slightly undersized for my kegel core. But haven’t run them

Boardnamics mounts without idler. I think these are a bit too long and I’m having a lot of clearance issues with mounting angles because of it. They’re 6.5ish mm thick raw aluminum, mine had some slag that wasn’t cleaned up before they were anodized. You get what you pay for here.
I also think the caliber bracket is not thick enough. They can be misaligned on the truck easily regardless of how tight you make them. Lastly, bolt interference for wiring and ground clearance are real issues. To be fair though, I have not yet tried other options