Evaluations of budget components

TLDR: what do we think of cheap parts?

Like many of the people here, I came into the eskate hobby with the idea of making DIY electric skateboards that were better and cheaper than a prebuilt. While that may no longer be the case for me, it still holds true for some of us. Help evaluate the parts and suppliers that cater to the budget end of the hobby!

To start off, DIYE Boards…a known scam and all their parts are trash.

One of more interest is my favorite person China, our very own DickyHo with his plethora of eBay store fronts, specifically his motors and kits. I am thinking of a forth (seventh?) build, a <$1000 eMTB with his new kit and dual 6384 motors, whatcha guys think of their quality? I’ve heard good things about his smaller motors and the other off road kit he sells is legit quality, and $300 shipped for the set it’s a fucking steal!

List all the budget parts/suppliers you know and tell us what you think of them!!

2 Likes

I actually really love the quality in Dickyho parts. The only thing that drew me away from his parts were the design but theyre 100% functional and amazing for the price.

I also think the BKB dual complete is a pretty great price for any new builder trying to build a shorty at $800 though I have issues with the design of their pressfits pulleys.

I just recently refurbished an elofty complete and that was a really fun board that was under $900 altogether.

2 Likes

Lol the other board I’m thinking is a deck swap BKB, but in terms of off road components what is out there?

3 Likes

Honestly no idea… I get all my good cheap shit from @CiscoV

2 Likes

Lol fair enough

1 Like

As far as hub motors go, I had good success with the 100mm Meepo hub motors. They are good for about 45 motor amps or ~ 1000W - 1200W. Not crazy power but they held up well over the months I used them.

I’ve heard the 90mm sleeves degrade rather quickly compared to the 100mm sleeves. But for less than 200 dollars for motors/wheels it definitely caters to the budget end.

2 Likes

Dickyho is great his product had evolved I still have a set of his ver 1 mounts and latest.
Ownboards is good - china
(I got some of their evolve mounts and press fit pulleys this week very slick.)
Maytech - email them if you want good prices.
I get some esk8 parts from dhgate.com also good for knock offs if thats your thing.
I buy some parts from evolve.
I am used to evolve dkp trucks $100US combined with ownboard mounts $55 and 6354 HGLRC motors $120 (for 2) and evolve AT kit $115 a bit more than the Dicky option but next level better and i have both kits.

1 Like

Cheap stuff I trust a lot.

Racerstar motors, yeah they are little but they are solid little fellas.

Meepo hubs… meepo boards in general. Good buy these days if that’s what you’re into.

@GingerSteve mum. Inexpensive but gets the job done

4 Likes

Which dickyho kit do you have? I had the TKP off road a while back, but I’m looking into the channel truck now

Bought separately his 11inch paris clones upgraded with riptide bushings axel extended to take evolve press fit pulleys as well, 2 latest gen DH mounts with custom crossbracing made with 3x threaded M4 rod with anodised blue stainless steel drinking straw and m4 rounded end nuts. Wheels are the same DH yumcha 6x2 innertube AT wheels, non standard bearing, unballanced. Mine has 3D printed nylon pulleys. Bearing are rubbish still looking for a decent replacements.

1 Like

So you bought this first one? It’s sister kit was what inspired me to get my current HeXL and Berg setup

The second one is what I’m looking at, do you know anything about it’s quality?

The dicky one over that other garbage. A mate bought a board off wish with that sudo AT kit the motor mounts were made of metal plate like the second one, they would vibrate and flex and belt slippage was common i reinforced it with cross bracing but after 4 month of riding the threads on the mounts gave way. That and the craptastic chinese cell battery and yumcha esc both of which started having issues . he scores a cheap AT evolve GT with a dead battery. I rebuilt the pack with 30Q. The Dicky kit uses the 6" airless these are better balanced. they still have shitty bearings but thats the only neg. Yep my Dicky set I put together before he was selling the kits. The evolve set last part landed this week. Both are good but bearings and trucks are what made me swap.

1 Like

Which riptide bushings did you get? I have the Airless AT kit but planning on changing the bushings for the truck and bearing for the wheels.

That’s kinda what I was fearing…the motor mounts are pressed sheet steel right? What about the DIYEboard version? It has much beefier clamp style mounts

http://www.diyeboard.com/11-offroad-allterrian-truck-kit-with-8-pneumatic-tires-p-709.html

My local skate shop fitted them for me i believe its a riptide barell 92 and roadside is bones dual hard not sure of durametre i am crap at tunning my trucks. Cost was about $40 ($30USD)

I should probably bring mine to my local skate shop. Probably will cost about the same looking at their prices.

I have dickyho Paris mount kit, solid budget mount pulleys belts etc, after drilling a dimple into the truck for the set screws, no complaints. Before, they turned and I drug a motor on the ground no matter how tight I set the screws, without the drilled hole, they turned. Nothing to do with is product though, Paris trucks problem.

I’m glad this came about, I was eyeing that imitation all terrain kit, now I know it’s not good I’ll look elsewhere. I have looked at the dickyho airless kit but wanted to try a set with the spring style mounts.

1 Like

Same here man, I’m looking to make a light duty channel truck eMTB for under $1000 with all parts shipped…this would have been the easy way out

Is it just the motor mounts that suck or the rest of the kit too? The DIYE clamps look legit but they are another $80ish

Electricboardsolutions does the MBS Matrix II for $360 plus shipping

1 Like

The esk8 ones are a 10mm axel not the standard 8mm so forget about skate bearing or street wheels but way better that the other ones, I would still go dicky as you could go street wheels and the trucks are very nice for a budget truck and with new bushings above average. Also his mounts are rock solid and allow you to use idlers great fot AT as it reduces belt slipping. There has been a few reports of esk8 trucks snapping

But his mounts are only for the TKP ATS12 clones and RKP Paris clones