Esk8's with speed limits

Hi, Astrid here again. And I was wondering if there was any Esk8 kits that had a max speed limit of 20km/h (that can’t be altered so it is in compliance with Norwegian laws)

I’ve tried searching for some but I can never find one that goes under 25 km/h (which is still illegal) so I was hoping the smart people on here would know. Either a full kit or just parts that limit the speed but still have power.

Vesc can do that, I remember seeing someone, I think it was sevenfloorsdown, setting custom profiles in the Vesc tool that he changed between depending on the scenario. So if you already have a board you could put a vesc in it or you could build/buy one that comes with one. Besides that maybe gearing could help if your board is already close in speed to that limit just gear it down a little so you loose some top speed

Get any board with a vesc and install a metr or minnie bluetooth module and use the metr app. Takes one swipe to activate a pre set mode with set max speed.

5 Likes

Those suggestions above are correct, but they’re still possible to change back with a simple command from the phone so may not meet the legal requirement

To make one unchangeably capped at 20 can also be done but I don’t know of any on the market. If you use a combination of battery voltage and gear ratio you can mechanically make the max speed of the board basically anything you want, you’ll get more torque too if you set it very low. I mocked up a combo that would work, the relevant parameters are circled

And this should be the resulting speed. The loaded speed is what we care about, it’s an approximation of what a board is like in real life with a rider

You could also use an even lower battery voltage like 7S or 6S to give you different options for pulleys

3 Likes

The thing is. For it to be legal it has to not be able to go over 20 because of a speed limit set by the makers of the setup that can’t be edited by me

Ah thank you very much! And I think that could work too within the laws too. Now I just gotta get me a spot welder.

2 Likes

It is best to not comply with vapid laws born of stupid politicians and bureaucrats who don’t understand anything besides their need for everlasting power in exchange for little or no effort.

No worries, it’s an interesting problem to look at. Whereabouts in Norway are you? I’ve only used PEVs (scooters unfortunately) in Bergen and it’s a mix of very very good by my Irish standards and really challenging because of the old cobbled streets

Yea i am also live in Norway, you can just setting up another Speed/Power profile in your VESC and set it default with your VESC Tool phone app.
Well speed limit law here is written by those SNOW FLAKES and it suck, I don’t give a F with this stupid law.

3 Likes

I am more south closer to Stavanger. So it’s very hilly and often wet.

2 Likes

Unfortunately if I’m gonna get my parents to help pay for this I need it completely legal

If money is tight, don’t build your own battery.

3 Likes

Nah. Monday ain’t tight. It’s just that I’d rather make my board legal and get help with money from my parents.

2 Likes

If you set the limit with VESC software, and uninstall the VESC app… who would know that it didn’t come from the factory like that?

I’m not here to suggest that you do something illegal, of course.

I’m just asking questions.

4 Likes

I dont even think you need to uninstall it, or even mention it, just say you bought the board and it came like that. What are they going to do reprogram your vesc?

That’s what I was thinking too. So long as the default profile has the speed limit it should be good since no one would know how to change it anyway. Also that way you’d have to take deliberate steps to change to a mode that has a higher speed limit and you wouldn’t risk accidentally using the wrong mode

This is so true, think I’ve spent more on just getting the battery safe then getting my actual boards running.

I use profiles.

But never used “profiles.”

Most cops (but not all) here where it’s illegal are willing to ignore riders as long as they’re not being dickheads.

Funnily enough, I just came back from a ride (breaking in my gear drives) and passed by a police scene. I was about to press the crossing light and a cop was walking my way to tell me, “you can just cross since we blocked the lane.”

1 Like

Its sounds like you will build the battery yourself. And if you want it to be completely legal that could be a problem,

As I understand the Norwigian regulations are the same as we have here in Denmark.

If so the complete board needs to be CE certified.

We are allowed to build our self but from CE certified components. And a self build battery is far from CE certified.

If we are very lucky we can argue that the individual cells are ce certified, but that’s probably wishful thinking.

But we have a community member going to court in the near future as he got his board confiscated and they want to make a trail court decision to see how the regulations should work in real life.

I’ve “studied” the laws here and I haven’t found anything where it said it has to be CE certified

2 Likes