ESK8CON 2024 - Vegas April 5th-7th

I’ll have to give it a shot!

2 Likes

There you go with a quick intro how to do it

9 Likes

Wow. Thank you. Been looking every on yt for race footage. Savage ride bruv. Pity about the start. More please.

4 Likes

This YT video deserves more views, a really cool drone shot of the full Pro Finals

12 Likes

Awesome heat there. Very fun to watch, and quite a close finish too. Happy to see you not cratering into the barrier after the finish, like so many others did

8 Likes

Don’t worry he did exactly that next heat :joy:

That will be my second video, wait and see :smiley:

4 Likes

That video really shows how detrimental the first corner crash was. There were a little too many first corner / startline crashes throughout the racing to my liking.

10 Likes

Yeah, I think for the Finals it was a bit better with 2 riders in a line. If it was like this for the heats I think it would prevent many of the issues.

5 Likes

that and more laps would’ve been nice

1 Like

Maybe there should be set rules and penalties, like who has the right of way and if you cause a crash you get penalized some now. I don’t watch Motorsport so I don’t know how they handle that in like F1 or nascar

3 Likes

Yeah, from my armchair it was right away “wow, one goober can make or break this start”

As the rest of the race goes on, it spreads out nicely, especially through the straighter bits where some of the riders gun it.

4 Likes

I have been watching all the footage I have of the starts in slo-mo. In almost every crash I see what I believe to be a rider fault. A rider causing the crash because they dont follow their line or right of way.

It would have been to much monitoring this doing the race. We are far from being there. I think we should accommodate the “issue” in other ways, like two line start and riders further apart. Just as other have been saying, including the organizer.

And then we all need to know what good racing etiket is. We are all very inexperienced how to race races like that. What can we do and what cant we do in racing.

6 Likes

Yeah seems really hard to define, but definitely safety first.

Set rules would at least let people know, doesn’t have to be heavily scrutinized or monitored.

4 Likes

You also took me out during free practice last year because you were following me way too close

two way street

2 Likes

I have no recollection of that to be honest, sorry if I did.
Stooge boards being so loud can really scare ppl for sure.
But if I didn’t touch you and I was behind you I don’t see how that’s relatable.

1 Like

There are many start of race collisions in F1, that are chalked up to “racing incident”.

Unless you do a considerably reckless move, or do not leave room on the track for a fellow racer, you are unlikely to get penalized.

The start of race collisions at esk8con were common because they put a hairpin turn 50 feet after a start, and had the entire pack bunched up with 3 person wide starting grids.

It was a bad decision to run the heats like that, and they changed it for finals, which is why you saw 2 person wide grids for finals.

They could have easily spaced the pack out more and we would have had half the amount of chaos at the start of races. Or they could have started the races somewhere with a wide sweeping turn to space out the pack without collisions. Or they could have started the race 50 feet further back to spread people out before the hairpin.

Either way, it was simply an unfortunate circumstance that lead to many start of race collisions, and ruined a lot of races for people, that otherwise would have been competitive and fun. I think the race organizers recognized the issues and things will be improved next year.

Even if it’s possible to pin it on a single rider in retrospect, racing is competitive and people are going to be pushing it. Racing incidents occur. A move that looks daring and confident when you pull it off, makes you look like an asshole that ruined someone’s race start when you end up clipping a wheel by 2 inches.

I point this out to highlight the main issue I saw at esk8con was a poor starting track design (short run into hairpin with 3 wide start), not unsportmanlike conduct.

the 3 person wide start really blows my mind. it was totally predictable that that was going to cause pile ups. We are riding vehicles that go from 0-20 in 1 second… the pack was started way too close together.

7 Likes

Why do you assume he got spooked and not actually hit?

And seeing a video of your fall last year no one touched you. Your board did take a bunch of people out tho

I slowed down hard for the chicane on the straight and you slammed right into the back of my board as you werent expecting me to slow down that much. Shoved me off my board over the barrier, hopped back on your board immediately and kept going.

1 Like

Why are u assuming I hit him after him not stating so ? lol