ESK8 v Analog SK8 poll

Have you heard of our Lord and Savior Vesc!

Because you Flux bro!!!

This is a fun topic @fessyfoo xxoo

1 Like

I guess technically? I started out on an analog skate.

When I was in high school, I knew that I wanted to get into esk8. Not sure exactly why/how this was the case, It just was. I had barely ever stood on a skateboard.
Coming from fpv drones, I definitely wanted to build my own vs COTS. So I bought a longboard deck/trucks/thanes, and taught myself how to skateboard over about a week or so.

Once I confirmed that enjoyed it, I followed through and purchased the rest of the electronics to make it electric.

Still have that build in my living room, and itā€™s one of the sketchiest boards yā€™all will ever see. Rode that thing nonstop for 5 years.

5 Likes

This thread reminded me of my first battery powered board.
Back in the early 80s my Dad got one of the first battery powered drills.

I had some soft kryptonics wheels, into which a wide socket would fit tightly and grip solidly. I attached the socket to the drill, and one rainy weekend when left alone, I made an interior racetrack on the hardwood and linoleum floors, sitting on the board, a drill in right hand powering the wheel under right butt cheek. Had pretty good torque. The trick was to be able to slam it from low to high gear, having to reach over with left hand for the straightaway.

I dont recall if I stripped the drills gearbox or just destroyed the nicad battery, or got a good enough yelling at for destroying the drill, that it ended my first venture into electric propulsion.

When boards got small and symmetrical and popsicle stick like, and wheels got super small and hard, I quit skating as i had no interest in kick flips, sucked at ollies, and realized how hard street skating was on my knees, and as transportation, bikes ruled, and were not illegal.

In '94 I got my first longboard, a flexy Gravity board with B52 trucks.
Still have those trucks. The hangers pivots are heavily worn and grooved. Went through a couple purchased Gravity decks, then got some baltic birch and started making my own when I got into woodworking.

A few months ago I added 700watts of 83mm hub motor to the latest baltic birch deck, originally made in 2003, and put 8" pneumatics up front, and it is the most fun Iā€™ve ever had on a skateboard, so far.

3 Likes

Ackchyually yes but not before the original controller dies.
Almost 7k km and still going strong.
I have a 4209 XR so Iā€™m good lol.
Itā€™s almost the only original part left apart from the wiring.

1 Like

The older I get, the better I was haha

With that in mind here is a little video of me skating from year 1999/2000ā€¦

Ps the cover photo is a mate of mine who was an awesome skater (Iā€™ve got the shit dreads lol).

At the very least, enjoy the old music. The video is quite repetitive as i only had a handful of tricks. Had to learn from skate videos back then, no youtube tutorials haha

8 Likes

As a kid, I started on a sol skate and a ripstick. My friend eventually upgraded to a skateboard, and I eventually followed suite. We didnā€™t have too much money growing up, but i was able to convince my mom to get me one for my 10th bday. Until then, I was made fun of for still riding a ripstick lmao. We never really got into tricks, just rode around, chased speed, and my friend got his dad to take us to the skatepark once or twice. This lasted a couple years before we both moved and I eventually stopped. Thatā€™s was until I was 18 and got a new board on a whim. My older brother decided to follow suit (never skated before). At that point, weā€™d basically hit up the skatepark twice a month for a year or two with another buddy/family. I always sucked, but liked trying to learn some freestyle tricks. The best thing I ever did for my balance was get decent at riding switch. I thought my balance was pretty good beforehand but was surprised how much it helped. Anyways, that lasted until I moved and transferred into a university. I built a cruiser on a popsicle deck for getting around. Eventually, I found out there was a decent sized esk8 club on campus. I must have been living under a rock because I didnā€™t realize esk8ā€™s existed yet other then ā€œsomeoneā€™s janky diyā€.

Anyways, I didnā€™t have much money and passed on getting into it for a while. Until, I regretfully (didnā€™t do my research) and bought an underpowered hobbywing diy from eBay. It wasnā€™t terrible, just janky and overpriced compared to the pre builds I could of got at the time. I knew I wanted to get into DIY, so figured Iā€™d start with something someone already built. I very much enjoy the hobby and had similar ones before starting. Anyways, from there Iā€™ve gone more in debt, but have much more awesome skateboards. Iā€™ve been working for a couple years now, just struggling to find more people that live within 30 minutes to ride with. Most of the people I could ride with are 2+ hours away. Most of the ones Iā€™ve met around me are flakes or just have a boosted they take out twice a year.

I havenā€™t been riding acoustics much lately (longboard, cruiser, popsicle, etc.). Not since I got out of school. And, I have gotten fatter then Iā€™ve ever been. Anyways, itā€™s time to take out the push boards more lol.

So much of thisā€¦

1 Like

still growing. once we hit 100 the numbers will be considered perfectly accurate for all time.

I started skating pretty young. Loved dragging my mom to the skatepark to noodle around on the slopes. At age 10 I broke my arm pretty good trying to go through a snake run, damn near destroying my confidence on a popsicle deck in the process.
Eventually we moved into a hilly neighbors in the countryside with buttery smooth streets so I picked up longboarding and grew comfortable on larger decks.
Itā€™s been esk8 all day since I finally saved up the $ for parts 3-4 years ago. However, I am proud to share that I finally taught myself how to ollie yesterday after 15 years skating!

3 Likes

feels like magic. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It really does. That moment when it clicks, the board levels out and you hear that signature sound of all 4 wheels landing at once.
priceless

1 Like

It still just wonā€™t click for me. Iā€™m pathetic.

Nah dude, itā€™s ridiculous how much you have to get right just for a little hop.

1 Like

slowing downā€¦ will reach the verified 100% accurate data level of 100? ā€¦hmm.

2 Likes

I did a lot of casual cruisingbefore moving to esk8

I can still analog, but donā€™t reallt do that much any more

1 Like

With the way you like to thrash your boards, Iā€™m surprised you have not make an acoustic MTB and taken it to the skate park. I would love to see what you get up to.

1 Like

honestlyyyyyy,

might be a good idea! good practice for air time confidence, and learning new stuff

2 Likes

Come visit again. I have 2 analogs ready to roll and we can bring electrix as a backup to hit the woods. Jumping on analog is wild after having so much weight strapped to you. You feel like Vegeta fresh out of the hyperbolic time chamber.

6 Likes