Esk8 Remotes: Garbage or Greatness!

@Skunk I heard the same. But I honestly wanted to give it a shot and see for myself. Now, I’ll just wait for real innovators to finish their projects so i can start throwing my cash at my screen

2 Likes

Im really glad I decided to forgo the photon now that I read this. I’d like to see the WAND added to the review list also.

My 2nd Vx1 reciever died.
I reflowed it. It works but it still loses power with vibrations.
I contacted Flipsky to see if they will sell me just the RX.

If @Trampa wants to send me one I’ll be happy to review it.

There will be a review of the OSRR int e coming days.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure he died guys.

My bad.

PS: Images in OP are broken?

1 Like

I am working on it, real life getting in the way of important shit :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I haven’t even shipped your Gummies so I’m just sitting here talkin shit.

Dont mind me Mike!

2 Likes

Got my VX1 setup via UART. Great having battery displayed right on the remote… I can even see my 25r’s voltage sag in realtime yay! Waiting on a few more parts to build out a new board with my VTC5A pack i’ve built.

And a huge plus: my remote isn’t trying to kill me anymore :smiley:

Pretty good build quality on this thing, nothing at all seems cheap or off-putting. No stuck throttle like the nano-X, no wobbly throttle like the nano-X, no cutouts like the nano-X, no scary reverse or full throttle at random like the nano-X, no calibration every damn time I turn on the board like the nano-X, no cheap plastic feeling like the nano-X, charging just works unlike the nano-X, buttons are solid unlike the nano-X, haptic feedback unlike the nano-X, cruise control unlike the nano-X, realtime battery display unlike the nano-X… I can’t believe I ever paid $50 for the nano-X.

UART seems to work great without any calibration setting. I miiiight go PPM at some point just to make sure my throttle max, min, and center are exactly where they should be but for now it’s :+1::+1:

Thanks again for the recommendation man.

6 Likes

All good, happy to help.

3 Likes

So I’ll add this info that’s quite relevant I think. IMHO current radio Tx and Rx technology used by esk8 remotes isn’t safe enough.

We mostly use 2.4GHz remotes with DSSS frequency hopping.

Frequency ranges in most countries for WiFi/WLAN is 2.4GHz covering 83MHz of the range with 13 overlapping channels.

WiFi also uses the DSSS algorithm for frequency hopping.

If I decide to come back to radios instead of my current hardwired project, it’ll be with FHSS frequency hopping, like Futaba FASST or Spektrum DSMR radio systems.

2 Likes

Guys, this is partially (all) my fault. I have dumped all kind of review requests on Mike because he’s fucking MIKE, leaving precious little “him” time for things like adding Jack Sparrow beads to his beard.

3 Likes

You also made him pay for his OSRR like some kind of common coffee boy.

I hear you’re a terrible boss around the water cooler.

And you hate open source.

1 Like

Have we addressed the many instances of vx1 disconnect reports? Or are we gonna sit on that for now, just curious not judging.

3 Likes

If someone wants to send me one to borrow for a few weeks, I’ve got the tools to debug quite a diverse number of devices.

3 Likes

Aight lemme look for one around here, we’ve had a number of peeps in the bay have disconnects at braking and or low speeds.

1 Like

You guys have a nuclear island and more cell phones/WiFi devices per sq mile than just about anywhere. I’m surprised you guys haven’t all died of WiFi aids already.

6 Likes

We’ve just got regular aids so far, in seriousness tho. Only the nano and Hoyt have stood the test of time. There are more pucks here than Hoyt headquarters

3 Likes

Shit man you might be right :joy:

2 Likes

The Hoyt Puck has been a solid contender for me so long as I don’t chuck it at the street.

The Midnight Puck @ $99 could end up being the best value remote in the game.

3 Likes

It still works after you Chuck it at the street tho👀