ESK8 Racing needs our help to grow

I think what you’re getting at it, and I agree, that separating based on boards is murky.

That’s why I’ll push for qualifiers being the decider for now personally. It still feels the most fair to me.

1 Like

You’re thinking about the racer.

I’m thinking about the engineers who had to design the board.

A lot more engineering has to go into a board that has to be built ten thousand times than one that has to be built 200 times.

Some components allow for more power but would not be okay for the general public, for example. So unless there is a huge market of race specific boards out there I don’t see how there could be a large stock class that includes those types.

1 Like

Then it starts to get murky. Is VESC too much? Is higher voltage too much? Just so many variables that unless there is a “power” number that’s quantified through some sort of dyno then it’s just picking and choosing what people feel is “too much” of one thing or another for a certain class.

The average person couldn’t really tell the difference between a VESC and a hobby wing as well as they could tell the difference between plugging something in like they would their phone or laptop versus taking the entire thing apart and then charging a bunch of individual flammable pillows

Like yes, your argument that there’s just a line somewhere and we just have to choose where to put it is true.

But the line I drew and the line you just drew are very far apart.

Vesc is why I mentioned a warranty. Afaik vesc boards usually have their warranty void when settings are changed. This should also qualify them as “not stock”

Id call the Dadbod that won AVS sportsman class the other year stock because it was running the same exact configuration as what you’d be able to buy and therefore covered by the warranty.

I think the warranty part is important because you should only be able to race what you would guarantee in a “stock” race imo

It’s still an arbitrary line.

If we drew it like you’ve said then a dadbod vs a meepo envy is fine. But a dadbod vs a SRB is unfair.

And now with more battery builder’s offerings you can easily get a plug n play SRB.

How about this. SRB starts shipping with a battery. Are you then a ok with it going against a dadbod in a stock class?

4 Likes

Only if there was a set model that was sold with a set price and spec, running out of the box and able to be recharged as easily as a laptop. With a history of selling multiple identical boards.

I see stock races as a competition between engineering teams. For it to be interesting to me both teams need to have the same constraints to a reasonable degree.

1 Like

He just likes arguing about stooge boards

This was a very reasonable conversation until you had to add this little quip for no reason. Let it be known that this is the point at which the conversation took a turn towards being unproductive and who started it.

Don’t treat me like a boogie man and then make a comment like this to try to start another spout of drama. I am flagging your post as off topic because it is.

1 Like

I think i see myself in that jockey lineup also

1 Like

Interesting perspective and feels more like manufacturer sponsored style racing to me than what our sport is currently kinda structured as. Not how I would approach any of this but I’m not coming at this from someone that was in the consumer esk8 industry either.

3 Likes

Sounds like you want to exclude one manufacturer just because he’s not a high volume operation… which to me counters the whole idea of growing the sport.

3 Likes

lilo-and-stitch-lilo

I’ll get your backpack of bricks ready for September :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Oh man I thought you were going to leave me alone like you said you were. Please stop trying to derail the thread. I have flagged your reply as off topic.

This entire thread is about racing am I now forbidden from ever alluding to the most race oriented brand ever in a thread about racing?

Even if I try to leave the drama behind you guys want it so bad

Dude it’s like you haven’t read anything I wrote higher up in the thread.

An SRB is like an F1 car in my mind.

Now imagine Ferrari said “oh yeah you can buy this technically” and then entered a race with a bunch of Corvettes, Hellcats, and other performant cars you can buy at dealership and register at the DMV.

This entire conversation is about one specific race class and you guys are acting like I’m trying to ban them from racing ever. If you want to race against a bunch of Meepos and Acedecks on your SRB go have fun lmao

Rules on eSk8 racing for any race should incorporate tech inspection of each board. Before tech inspection. The track should be open so each rider can dial in their board to tech inspection track mph rule. This will make tech inspection go quickly. If you don’t meet the requirements. You don’t race.

Tech inspection should cover the following and set a max speed allowance for the track used. Each board should be set to that exact mph mark. Tech inspection should check each board to eSk8 Calculator. After tech inspection there should not be any modifications allowed to any board unless it goes through tech inspection again. (When racing) The top four with the fastest times, need to have their board tech inspection immediately after each race before they pit, Or Risk disqualification.

Track rules should be…

Tech inspection should not be Affiliated with any one or team racing that event.

Certified timing Person should not be Affiliated with any one or team racing that event.

Tech inspection will physically check
Wheel diameter with calipers
Battery output voltage to esc
Motor KV
Motor pulley teeth number
Wheel pulley teeth number
(Calculate gear ratio)
ESC max power setting.
(Each board should be set up for the max speed of the track used set by tech inspection)

This way if somebody has a 55 mile an hour board. They can tune it down and run a 40 mph track class race.

Anything else should be open for change without any restrictions. This way people can use whatever deck, trucks, bushings, grip, bindings, ect. they want. And leave the Racing up to skill of rider.

Then you can separate racing class by rider lap times…

7 Likes

I’d prefer to see more teams rise to the challenge of making a top tier race board. I don’t see how it’s in the interest of racing to have limitations on boards at this point.

It seems to me that VESC boards can bring the heat and challenge SRB boards. @Skyart and @Tony_Stark are doing it. They aren’t asking for easier classes for their boards to compete in.

Anyone can buy a Superspine or a v5. They aren’t hard to get.

Stooge boards are not secret weapons. They will not make a slow rider fast. I am living proof of this. I have a very powerful board yet I am slow as fuck around T race. 21 seconds LET"S GO!!!

This is why we have racing classes.

If those riders qualify in the same race class, I don’t have an issue with them racing each other (assuming there is no intentional sandbagging).

6 Likes

I will not repeat myself:

This is the most important of my points↓

Imo if you cannot take it out of the box, turn it on,ride it, and warranty it, it’s not stock.

4 Likes

While I agree it should be checked if you have a set top speed, you can’t check this on closed gear drives without disassembly

I agree with no modification to the electronics / gearing when a top speed is set, but modification to the trucks like changing rod angles or bushings should be allowed, even after tech inspection. Also there should be an option in my opinion to throw on a different set of wheels and have your board inspected again

As far as I understand the Electrify ruleset, you can’t even change bushings after inspection

1 Like

We should have a meta rule.

The more you talk about rules for races the more you are required to run a race to test those rules.

4 Likes

For a sport where there are no actual professionals these rules are getting a bit serious.

5 Likes