ESK8 Racing needs our help to grow

Don’t underestimate the demand that long straights put on the rider. After all the tight twists and turns, trying to keep stable under prolonged acceleration and then heavy braking and keeping composure into the turn at the end of that straight, lap after lap requires serious physical stamina.

6 Likes

fair enough your right

the point i was trying to convey is dont make the track about the straights though (it shouldnt be that being good on the straights wins you the race) being good on the straights should be important but not game changing

4 Likes

Why not have two different kinds of tracks? We can call them “Teeny track” and “jumbo track”

6 Likes

I’d like to propose that the only track we are able to use in The Netherlands should become our international standard.

7 Likes

I like this, but I need to be able to set a track up in under 45 mins to be practical in NYC

5 Likes

Rats! :tired_face: Ah well. I appreciate you taking my proposal seriously, nevertheless.

3 Likes

Instead of the trouble of setting up two tracks for different boards, just run different divisions. ERL in Perth Australia ran a Novice division (40km/h limited), and an Open division for esk8. They also had divisions for one wheel and EUC.

They tried to get divisions for youth and females only but not enough numbers. As it grow I’m sure they’ll have divisions for bindings and maybe even urethane divisions.

To seriously grow the sport the youth categories are important. If it weren’t for the liability and insurance difficulties it might even be worth having a set of cheap production boards for newbies or youth.

And as I type I just thought that a set of cheap production boards could be cool to have some Indycar style races. IE everyone on the same board so it tests rider skill not the board. Can even go a step further and weigh everyone and add weighted backpacks or weight categories to even that variable as well. Now we’re getting serious though haha

5 Likes

Nitpicking here but I think this would be extremely hard with esk8

You have to practice riding in a certain setup, and putting on a weighted backpack dramatically changes how you ride, ie riding a mountainboard with or without a backpack changes a lot, balance, shifting weight, etc.

5 Likes

Weighted vest then. You get my drift i think haha

4 Likes

the most adaptable wins! :slight_smile:

I could do it. :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I was just wondering… would chain drive be a bad idea for a race board? I’ve been using a belt drive and belt skipping is a little bit of an issue, especially when starting off. I use SR TKP trucks with 6385 motors and there’s no space for a gear drive. Plus, suitable gear drives don’t exist anyway. Chain drive shouldn’t be a problem though. Would that be an improvement over a belt drive?

3 Likes

It is for me, definitely, for that very reason.
(Edit: an improvement, I mean. Not ‘a bad idea’)

I don’t have any GDs to compare it against but I can imagine that gears would be better again. Chain drive will always have a bit more slack (and losses) than GDs will have backlash.

3 Likes

I’d just got for a metal gear drive for racing, you really want a set and forget drive train for racing IMO. Then again, maybe you want different ratio? Do you, be safe about it.

As for this:

This isnt possible for us in the NYC area.

The ONLY spot capable of hosting our races is pier 76. Anywhere else is only accessable via car or via a really shitty and slow train. 90%+ of the people around here do not own a car. So for the time being, I have to take a ferry with all the equipment necessary in my backpack into Manhattan.

2 Likes

I guess an SRB-style open gear drive would work for me. Does anybody but Moe make them though?

2 Likes

Not that I know of, but someone should. I wanna try them but refuse to keep non-metric tools or hardware in my shop

2 Likes

Wear a helmet, dumbass. :kissing_heart:

5 Likes

That’s ‘Captain’ to you, Amos

1 Like

I’m about to Dad you so hard right now:

If you’re trying to promote Esk8 racing you’re doing yourself and everyone else involved a massive disservice by posting public videos of you on a track without a helmet.

Facts.

15 Likes

Agreed, wont happen again.

Backstory (not an excuse, I already agreed)
This wasnt a race in the video, I was adjusting cones and had a guy with his camera out already filming ask me to go around the track real quick for the video. I said fine and went around, realized i wasnt wearing a helmet and stopped. Every other video I have a helmet on but they were terrible quality or were never sent to me.

Anyways, I always* wear a helmet, just not when im moving cones around

Proof I was wearing a helmet that day

@Evwan ur camera sucks at low light video lol

ANOTHER with me and a helmet

10 Likes
2 Likes