ESK8 Racing needs our help to grow

I am not sure, currently asking about the course.

I was think about running 170kv front, 190kv rear.

I still need to balance the wheels.

1 Like

Isn’t there a whole debate that bring lower kv above there speed or something is bad? I can’t remember though…

1 Like

Well the 170kv motors are actually like 175kv last I tested and the 190kv are actually 183kv so theres not much of a difference.

1 Like

Ahh that makes more sense, that should be fine then.

1 Like

Go to any race, in any discipline and you will find that its 99% standing around and 1% doing the actual activity.
For that reason alone racing sucks to participate in.
The winners always spend way too much money.
The authorative bodies always become corrupted.
In the end the only real winners are the people selling sugary drinks to the kids.

5 Likes

In my opinion you don’t really need to change anything. A familiar board would be better than something built right before you’re going to go zoom zoom to the best of your ability. I’m sure there’s other who’d argue for you to font the cash and add a couple more drivetrains and that ain’t a bad option all things considered lol. Who wouldn’t want to upgrade something? It’s just preference!

All things considered perhaps binding(s) or foot hook(s) are my my recommendation. If it’s a tight track they can really help you get leverage and stay locked in when leaning into a corner.

3 Likes

I want too stick with the board as it is now, but the events postponed for awhile and I have the time to build, tinker, and tweak. I have the majority of the parts for 4wd so its won’t be too difficult to try it out either.

2 Likes

Am I missing something or are you trying to run different kv motors on different wheels with the same battery?

2 Likes

For uphill racing. It is all about power and reliability.
Bottlenecks:
let’s start with the battery. Your pack needs to over deliver Amps and Volts. Buss work need to carry without resistance from the cell to the esc.
Switches and BMS systems often are problematic and unnecessary . Keep your power delivery simple with antispark connectors and a charge only BMS.
Pushing your motor and Esc to their limits is bottlenecking and eventually will end badly. 60% of esc/motor capability in sustained climb & with desired speed is your target for your load. Short burst load spiking should be the only time you exceed 60%. If you are lacking power for what you are doing you will need more or failure will be your reality. Test tune and data log till you find system balance.

Board setup. For open road racing I would suggest a rear steer very close to zero or set to make the tightest turn on the course. Dewedging the front and rear increases your foots leverage and control over the forces happening on the hangers.

Grip is King. You are only as good as your contact patch.
Find a good wheel and tire combo.

Target Speed? . How many max watts to push the load at that speed. add 40%. Eliminate bottlenecks and failure points. Board setup. GRIP.

9 Likes

Success in the uphill races seems determined most by a willingness to fly to 60mph standing on a board. Building a board capable isn’t hard.
Hoping some Esk8 racing gets started in the Bay Area with events decided a lot more by athleticism and not how dangerous you’re willing to be. Something the masses can enjoy without the risks.

4 Likes

The parking lot races we have done in So-Call and the dry lake bed (fucking figure 8 dawg) have all been very approachable and low risk unless you happen to be standing in front of @Arzamenable cruise missile when it decides to launch…

7 Likes

This seems like a big understatement?

Why is everyone not rocking 60mph murder boards if it wasn’t hard

5 Likes

It is a .3 of a mile uphill race

3 Likes

I get what both of you guys are sayin’, but a 60mph board is really just a formula that anyone can follow. Being able to ride the thing anywhere near that speed is a whole nother story.

11 Likes

I’ll put it this way:

When I went to my first race in Denver, I was shocked how many people were there but didn’t race. I’d guess there were probably ~40 riders, only maybe 15 raced. I was assuming everyone was there to race but it’s not for everyone.

Not to mention cost and usage. Most people here are casually riding or commuting. They don’t necessarily need a straight shooting rocket board.

5 Likes

Not many people want to do 60mph. A lot of people want torque but the torque needed for the short time period of these races… u can put together a board that would win for pretty cheap with standard parts

I was hoping the figure 8 would be a standard event as it can be done anywhere with almost nothing. Long ago I remember seeing times for the 8 and those numbers are still good today.

1 Like

True, my board is faster than I am

4 Likes

Would be happy to have you at the hill. Would like you to elaborate on how you would accomplish this.

5 Likes

I think a pair of 80mm motors n some lipos n high amp escs would get me to 60 quickly.

Ooor 4 hub motors. And some horse jockey

1 Like

@hummieee will never know till you try. :checkered_flag:

7 Likes