ESK8 Racing needs our help to grow

We had a good 30ish people turn out today. We had two tracks set up, one really tight T shaped track and large loop.

Hopefully in the summer we can get an entire parking lot without massive steel beams. Weā€™ll be able to host a significantly larger track.

9 Likes

awesome!

2 Likes

It was great seeing everyone again! Thanks for posting those.

4 Likes

PEV Race-N-Ride Apple Valley Speedway
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.4878458988867802&type=3

4 Likes

Your photos are awesome Brad! Iā€™d like to welcome the super aerodynamic ā€œhunchbackā€ position created by yours truly

11 Likes

:skateboard:

9 Likes

Need content like this to grow e-board racing.

EUC pro class from last weekend at AVS. Content narrative like this takes a race video turns it into a building block for the sport. Viewing with play by play commentary, detailed rider information, explianation of statistics and equipment allows the viewer an understanding of whatā€™s happening. This is how eyes and minds are opened. Thank you Zen Lee .
Nailed it!

9 Likes

Sounds like we need an intern

One of the things I do professionally is build software of various sorts including cloud-based sites. I was wondering whether there is a need in the esk8 racing scene for a database-backed site to allow capture of races, lap times, results, etc. I had this idea recently WRT the T-Race initiative as I saw @davidbonde was using a spreadsheet to track times and I figure this has got to be very cumbersome and would only get worse with more participants, data, etc.

4 Likes

Sounds quite intriguing

I would really like to see this grow internationally too, not just in one country.

2 Likes

I havenā€™t really given much thought to it but I could imagine, off the top of my head, that you want ways to capture all relevant race data and then have ways that people can view (and potentially compare) data by club/race organizer, track, event/session, date, rider, certain vehicle characteristics, etc. Race data could potentially include race times, results, GPS data, ESC data, etc.

I work for myself and on my own time and like to help solve problems and if there was a real need for something Iā€™d build and run it as a community service. The hardest part is really just figuring the database schema and features required (ideally organized into the immediate must-have features and then the nice-to-haves).

3 Likes

Sounds like someone needs to start an esk8 racing slack channel to organize all these features and prioritize development.

1 Like

I can do that soon (Discord is probably better). Just in the middle of an office/workshop move now but in a couple of weeks Iā€™ll have time for this. Also need to give some thought to the scope of users for this. My personal interests are in esk8 and as much as I like racing on different tracks with other riders, I really like the T-Race initiative for something that makes it really easy to setup and move and as a benchmark for global comparison. Although Iā€™m not into EUC or other PEVs, thereā€™s no reason the same site canā€™t support those classes too but have it segmented so that if you only want to see esk8 you can. It would, however, be interesting to compare times and other data between boards, EUCs, etc.

3 Likes

I already started jotting down some notes which I can share at some point. Part of the goal of the site would be to help racers and race organizers organize events to make it easy to have a page with all relevant info for a race, notify participants, etc. There would be ways to cross-link to standard social media stuff like FB events/groups, YouTube videos of race footage, photos, etc.

2 Likes

https://evrace.town is the home of the future site. I started on a Google doc and setup a Discord server for discussion. As I mentioned, Iā€™m in the middle of packing for a office/workshop move but if we can come up with a good set of requirements I should be able to start work implementing something in a few weeks.

3 Likes

dear friends,

I have a general question about BRAKES and racing.

As most people know, cars and motorcycles have brakes on all wheels.
When braking, they have up to 80% brake power at frontwheels and 20% rearwheels.
This is because the weight moves to the front when braking, so grip in front increases ā†’ more possible break power.

grafik
(source: Brake Bias And Performance | Brakes-shop.com)

Now Im asking myself, why most current racing boards have only 2wd, so can only brake on the backwheelsā€¦
Does that mean we are missing most possible brake power because we do not have front breaks?
Or is braking not so important in esk8 race?

thx for a clarification.

3 Likes

yes, we are missing out on a substantial amount of performance by only having control over the rear wheels. I constantly go on rants about why the current standard is extremely suboptimal, especially for how it isnā€™t even hard to add motors to the front wheels. We have an advantage over cars in that our bodies typically weigh 300% of our boardā€™s weight so combining the fact that we can shift the weight extremely rearward and that we do not get brake dive since our boards are static (no suspension to make weight transfer nearly as noticeable). It is not nearly as bad as what it would be if we were a car with only rears but it is suboptimal.

We use motors as drive and break so you need 4wd for 4wb which I think race boards should move to anyways since those rear tires obviously canā€™t handle the hundreds of amps people throw at them without sliding all over the place and minimal to no slip is almost always faster around the track than larping as Mr. Fujiwara.

thank you for those insights.

that is good point. I wonder if it could be mesured, how the distribution really isā€¦ (maybe some sensors in the baseplates and arduino, hehe)

For riding 4wd in race mode, maybe it could be vital to use 2 remotes. one for front and one for rear?
This could be challanging at the beginning but there may be advatages in controlling the board.

For example:

• Having slight drift in the corner:
    ā€“brake front, accelerare rear
  • rescue a uncontrolled drift:
    ā€“ accelerate more on front

btw: I have large respect for @MoeStoogeā€™s work. so Iā€™m pretty sure they have reasons to go 2wdā€¦ :wink:

1 Like

Moeā€™s stated reason for 2wd is not based on performance itā€™s just that twice the stuff means twice the opportunity for failure, heā€™s admitted that 4wd would be faster.

2 Likes