Esk8 on the Canary Islands

Hello

Has anyone experience with esk8 on the Canary Islands?
How are the roads? What is Law Enforcement like?

friendly greetings

7 Likes

Welcome friend! I haven’t heard of anyone bringing esk8 to the islands there so you may have to be the pioneer.

2 Likes

Haha

I’d love to. I imagine riding between the vulcanic mountains would be quite the experience.

2 Likes

Hey man! Spaniard here. The laws regarding PEVs are a clusterfuck of nonsense. There are general dispositions applicable to the country as a whole but then every town can restrict them more. Let me get you the TLDR:

• PEVs cannot exceed 25km/h by design, meaning if there’s any way the user can unlock a higher speed they’re considered small motorcycles and they can fine the shit out of you (not certified for road use, uninsured, etc). The reality is that VESC/Metr profiles are a godsend, just set it to boot up limited to 25 and if they stop you just reset the board.
  • Sidewalks are forbidden, you can only ride on urban roads and depending on the city, bike lanes.
  • Emphasis on urban, roads connecting cities (anything limited to 50km/h or higher) is strictly forbidden.
  • Helmets are not mandatory but always recommended. They also make you look responsible to the police.
  • Only one person per vehicle, no headphones, no using the phone, no skating under the influence of alcohol or other substances (they can test you)
  • They cannot enforce power limits or require you to have a certificate of any kind. Technically the speed limit should be verified with a standard measuring device that they never have at hand.

The reality of it is that if you ride responsibly and don’t blatantly break those rules, there’s usually no problems. Probably the police will be more concerned about drunk kids riding rental e-scooters two at a time and you’ll be a good example anyway xD

I suggest you look up the local mobility regulations of the particular town you plan to stay on. I’ll happily translate whatever you need for you.

Happy riding and enjoy your trip!

4 Likes