👍 ESK8 Motor Reliability Wishlist

Size and performance is more important to me than cost. Size is often a restricting factor, based on skateboard design. Especially in the 6355 lengths.

Maybe others have other opinions.

4 Likes

Proven performance and longevity. If a more powerful smaller motor could be made that never broke then there would be serious interest from seasoned builders I’m sure.

4 Likes

Yes, as @BigBen mentioned, reliability is #1. If it doesn’t work, then it’s not worth anything.

So imagine the motor being violently shaken one million times while being hit with rocks and metal dust while splashing through brine. That kind of reliability.

3 Likes

Just one million times Brian? You’re getting soft in your old age…

5 Likes

6 Likes

Sealed motors, no water=rust, no stones, no grease!! This is a new one for people running gears with front open motors. I never had broken magnets, but I had axles coming out from cans like crazy

A bearing is not a seal

7 Likes

The Baja brakes with all four motors either if it’s in 2WD or 4WD Mode. But they’re smooth as butter.

1 Like

That’s good to hear. Super stoked to make my own motor.

So when are these TB motors going to be available?

2 Likes

@Titoxd1000 We should be re-stocked in less than a week if everything goes as planned. :wink:

3 Likes

@torqueboards How many amps can your 6374 Motor do continuously? (Just asking because I found it weird that on your site they all max at the same amperage)

1 Like

Because, essentially, they all have the same material for their windings, so what differentiates them is how long it takes them to get hot at a certain current / how much heat can be dissipated / escape.

My personal recommendation would be 40A for their 6355, 60A for 6374, and maybe 70A for the 6380. (I only own the 6355, others I’m guessing by experience of running Maytech motors which are more closed off)

3 Likes

Hmm… Thanks man! Right now I’m already running a single 6355 from them at 75amps and it takes it like a champ…

Then trust your own results more, since riding styles differ. My results were from climbing steep hills for an extended period of time, and just measured temperature based on if I could touch them with my hand :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Alrighty! Thanks for the help though!

1 Like

Also depends on ambient temperature and sun. Here in Arizona, all motors start overheating at 0 amps…

I would also like to make a recommendation to @torqueboards
Convex magnets, 90° off set screws, and if you can manage a new design, halbach arrays.

4 Likes

I ran 80 amps max on dual 6380s and they only got warm, but not too hot, touchable. But this was maybe 10 miles of use max mainly full throttle whenever possible before something happened to my board and had to stop.

1 Like

63100 motor with 130-150 kv

1 Like