ESCs based on the VESC

Yeah, this is really apparent once we get over 12s. There is not much consistency in how MFGs are rating their ESCs.

I think I’ll split the voltage column into a “MFG recommended li-ion battery voltage” (12s) and a max ESC voltage (60v). I’ll only be able to go off of what is listed on product descriptions unless there is a resource or testing that shows a v6 can go up to 62.5v for example.

I noticed the firmware version was added, did firmware 5.0 solve the 12s FOC DRV issue on old 4.12 hardware?

While we’re at it can we put firmware notes with each ESC? I tend to see a lot of confusion with which firmware versions to install, and in cases like the uBox there’s custom firmware that needs to be installed.

I added those fields to the setup, not familiar with all of the links and custom firmware, however

The makerx dv6 pro has a custom one but no link yet

As google would tell you. 4.x is an inferior hardware design. Moving to 3 shunts solved alot of problems the 4.x hardware had. Things might have improved for the better in later FW but the three shunt design together with a fresh powerstage was the biggest contributor towards stability in FOC

2 Likes

This is how I understood it too, but Frank added “based on FW4.xx” so I was wondering if he was saying “The 12s FOC problem was with v4 hardware with firmware version 4 or earlier and solved with the new firmware version 5”

That or he could have meant HW4.xx referring to the hardware series

The HW and FW version goes hand in hand since alot changed between the two.
You cant run 4.x FW on a vesc6 and you cant run 5.x FW on a 4.x HW version.

1 Like

Yeah, I guess mostly we don’t pay attention since Vesc Tool auto selects for us

I didn’t think about it before but you’re right haha

1 Like

Yeah, and the intentions (as far as I know) is that third party or “modified fw” would be auto-detected as well, if they were a valid branch to the project.

I dont belive accomplishing the vedder stamp of approval is terribly hard. Ppl are just lazy :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I don’t believe this is true. We used to run FM v3 on vesc 4s and I’m fairly certain my v4 took the latest 5.2 firmware when I updated it with the VESC tool. There is a hardware config file in the firmware that adjusts based on the hardware it’s running on, but the overall firmware is still version 3, 4, 5 etc.

I could be wrong though, I’ll confirm tonight when I check my VESC 4

1 Like

I’ve run firmware 3.65 on my HW6 as well I believe

And Version 5.2 on my FocBoxes lmao

1 Like

Hm, I’m unsure of how the FW evolved at this point in time, I havn’t tinkered with a vesc 4 since… I dont know, 3-4 years ago? Not even sure the vesctool was released then. was probably the old BLDC tool.

Maybe the FW revision also reflect if they’re vesctool compatible? Maybe theres a revisions number legend somewhere, where Dr.love when you need him @Deodand

Thank you everyone for the edits so far! Lots of good information being added. I’ve cleaned up some formatting and edited any current ratings that were combined to be per motor. I’m trying to keep the column width and count at a minimum so it’s easy to view on a phone and at a glance, but still add enough relevant info to help decide on an ESC

Changes by the community so far:

• Broke out various HW versions - Trampa
  • Corrected various inaccuracies - Trampa
  • Added a bunch of ESCs - Shutterstock/Evwan
  • Alphabetized list - frame.b022
  • Added firmware options - Shutterstock

Todo:

• Clarify the v4, v4 direct fet and v6 versions
  • Add max voltages
  • Clarify core features that different HW versions support (IMU, shunt config, HFI)
  • Add a “discontinued” section for people looking for info on an existing unit
  • Clean up VESC 75/300 and 100/250 section to make sure they are in the right spot
5 Likes

@jaykup what a great thread. Super useful resource.

2 Likes

Is there a known ERPM limit for these? Does it differ by manufacturer?

I have the makerx ones and i’m looking to build a fairly high rpm board with them, hoping to not blow them up :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

What no recognition for my contribution?

1 Like

… Really mate

Lmao this isn’t a competition or something

Good question, I wonder as well. I know that in general V6 was regarded to have an ERPM limit of 100k, I believe.

5 Likes

The wiki above says 150k for v6 :man_shrugging:

Hm… could be remembering incorrectly, maybe that was the OG focbox

1 Like

I think you can run the latest firmwares on the 4.12 hardware.

5 Likes