Esc testing leafboard

I’ve just picked up a used broke leafboard to try to repair. Got it really cheap so couldn’t say no. I’ve just been doing some testing and I’ve run out of ideas.

The board powers on, but no response from the motor. The remote pairs and if I press the acceleration the esc lights up.

I found that two of the phase wires had shorted together. Could that have blown the esc?

Battey is fine, motor is fine, can’t see any broken wires.

Can anyone suggest anything else to try?

I’m sure I will end up putting a vesc in but I want to try first.

Grab a multimeter and start checking if you have a blown halfbridge maybe?

Thank you, can you please explain how to do that?

Meassure resistance between the phases to check for shorts (whitout motor connected)
Meassure continuety for similiar resistance between each halfbirdge, look for visual damage.

2 Likes

Definitely appear to be a short between the phase wires. Also they are reading 9.5v with no throttle input. Can’t see any visible signs of damage. What do you think?

1 Like

1 Like

Just having more of a look and noticed it say vedder. Se. Do we think this is actually some sort of vesc?

Got this after motor detection. Any idea what it could mean?

Dont do FOC on 4.x hardware. Its very prone to breaking.
Looks like vesctool was unable to do detecion

1 Like

Thanks, do you know if there is any tests I can do in vesc tool to diagnose the fault?

Prob need to start swapping out components, I’d start with the FETs if everything else seem to work fine

2 Likes

I’ll try that and see what happens. Thanks for your help.

2 Likes

Hi. I’m in a similar situation. I bought 2 leafboards for $20. Thought it was a pretty good deal, and I have been piecing together the broken parts. Turns out both batteries are good, one control board and one tail switch are good, and both motors are bad. I’ve replaced motors in other DIY projects before and usually they have some markings on them to google and buy a new one. Should I buy the $100 motor / hangar from their official website, or is there another place to go to get a cheaper one?

I do downhill longboarding, so $20 for two sets of wheels is still a good deal. :slight_smile: Thanks in advance for your advice.

Dan

I ended up replacing the controller with a cheap Chinese one. Works perfect. They do look like pretty standard motors to me. So you should be able to replace easy enough. Have you tested the motors with another controller? Seems weird for both to be broken.