Enough torque ? Need advice for my motors, please [SERIOUS]

Hi all,

For an incoming build, I’m not sure if the motors I already have will have enough torque. I only built street urethane esk8 until now, both of them 9S with 6355 motors and around 80mm wheels. Plenty of torque and 45km/h is enough for me.

I now have parts to build a MTB and a Berg setup, including 4 motors total but in case I would need better motors, I would like to order them quickly so I don’t have to wait after new motors delivery. I don’t have any experience on pneumatics yet but I know I want some torque on the MTB for sure and enough on the Berg too (at least the same as my 9S 15/32 6355 builds).

What I have and planned to do :

• MTB : 12S Lipo Turnigy Graphen – Moon Gear Drive 44T / 9T-10T – 2 * 6374 150kv sensored Unikboard motors (8mm shaft) – 8" wheels on Rockstar 2 hub – 2 * ESCape
  • Berg : 12S Lipo Tattu-- Ratio 60T / 15T-14T – 2 * 6355 190-200kv sensored BKB motors (8mm shaft) – 6" Bergmeister wheels – 2 * FocBox 1.7

My questions :

• Will those 6355 BKB motors be enough torque on the Berg setup ? (I used some calculator but torque is not an ouptut most of the time and when it is, it is hard to figure with just a number)
  • If I need to buy new motors, do you have any suggestions (EU is prefered and no Flipshit motors) ? (I gave informations on the MTB so you can think about swapping the 150kv to the Berg build and advice me for MTB motors :wink: )
  • I think about the TB6380 170kv motors, would they be better on the MTB or the Berg build ?

Thanks for your time, guys, hope you have some answers for the pneumatics noob I am ! \o/

3 Likes

Looks like you got it right. If you could sell the 6355’s and go with some 6374s that would be good but it will be ok.

2 Likes

check out nexusboards.co.uk
[Global] [Open] Flipsky 6374 Motors & 2020 200A Enhanced Antispark He should have these in stock soon if your motors don’t work out

1 Like

Thank for the suggestion but I should have to say first that I don’t want to buy some Flipshit motors (or anything they have to sell anyway).

I did my homeworks before asking and I didn’t really find motors below 170kv like we use to see before in every shops (except Overion but it’s 10mm shaft or SK3 but it is unsensored).

1 Like

I don’t think it would be worth importing TB 6380, they’d be super pricey after import taxes. You’d ne better off just getting Maytech 6380 or larger as they’d be quite significantly cheaper with similar quality.

9T motor pulley isn’t possible. The smallest you should use is 15T. 9T will constantly skip. Depending on riding style, any 6374 below 170kv should be enough torque.

4 Likes

@slak is referring to @moon drives though, those aren’t htd5m. 9t/44t has been tested to work fine

3 Likes

Yes exactly this ! A nice Gear Drive from M. Moon.

So I get that there is not a lot of choice for motors (6374 at least and kv =<170, I’ll try my 6355 first then but…

Any opinions on the torque of “6” with dual 6355 200kv" from people with this size of wheels ? @mmaner, @BigBen , @Brenternet, @mishrasubhransu , @Riako, @haggyboard.timo, @Bobby, @KfromtheBay, @Soflo, @CiscoV and any other people having some informations

It’ll depend on gearing. I run 8” wheels with 170kv 6355 motors and they’re really powerful.
I do use 4 though. :joy:

2 Likes

That’s the secret Right there Yo peeps Don’t be afraid 4wd doesn’t bite :rofl::ok_hand:t3:

3 Likes

Gearing will be 60T / 15T or 14T on the Berg setup 12S dual motors (check first post if you want)

1 Like

Damn. I have to say. The biggest issue I have with my pneumatics is thermal throttling
My damn unity gets toasty really quick and slows the crap out of my board.

Even on 4:1 with 180kv 63100s heat overtakes unity and everything goes to shit

Ironically My 6384 190kv flipsky on 4:1 moon drives Seem to be way more efficient than all other motors I have had. They keep me running with decent power for longer periods of time. They shine climbing hills where others have taken a poop cuz of heat

2 Likes

Have you battle hardened any of your motors?

1 Like

Just the can Stator was left alone

1 Like

Seems to be helping to retain heat in a few cases. Even just the can.

2 Likes

Ive had no issues but I honestly dont gear for torque all that much… i use my bergs for paved streets mostly. Currently working on an 8 inch build

2 Likes

What motors did you use on berg ?

It all depends on rider weight, style, terrain, head winds and settings. All of that will dictate how well your setup works

Best setup I’ve ever had was bergs on 4wd 2.6:1 on 200kv sealed 6374 maytechs

2 Likes

I had berg tires with quattro hubs on 6355 and berg hubs on 6374. Never had problems going up hill and even preformed pretty nice on the dirt track in Colorado using a 10s and 6355. I definitely couldnt keep up with the speed demons tho. I dont use 6355 motors anymore but that isn’t because they didnt preform. I just had to cut the shafts for a beta and dont have a need or use for them in that condition.

Im not a pro but i think you should be fine

1 Like

I was running 6380 with bergs and loved it. Ive pulled those motors for my new 8" build. I put some sk3 6374 back on the berg build.

1 Like